A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I’ve been thinking... Yeah, I know:
But... I have these beautiful Sweetgrass turkeys from R2. They’re all siblings I think, or if they’re only half sibs I don’t know which are which. I also have (all from Cackle hatchery) male and female Narragansetts, Bourbon Red and Black (I don’t think I’ll use the Blacks for breeding). Plus one TCMB male from R2.

In the interest of genetic diversity, with a goal of primarily Sweetgrass and other Sweetgrass color types in a smaller flock (29 is a lot to feed), what sorts of breeding groups would be a good idea for me to pursue? Any suggestions?
If you want to stick with the Sweetgrass, do not breed them with Bourbon Reds or Narragansett. With the Bourbon Red you will introduce the red color gene and the F1 generation will be Red Bronze. With the Narragansett, if the Narragansett is a tom you will produce Narragansett Semi-Color Semi-Gray hens and Bronze Semi-Color Semi-Gray toms for the F1 generation. If you use a Sweetgrass tom over a Narragansett hen, the F1 generation will all be Bronze Semi-Color Semi Gray.

The TCMB tom has the same father as the Sweetgrass. No matter what you breed him to, there are a lot of different color varieties possible. He is Bb1 Ccg dd.

If you want Sweetgrass, breed the Sweetgrass to each other and watch for any oddities. The easiest way to bring new blood into a Sweetgrass flock is to breed a Sweetgrass tom to Royal Palm hens. Any female offspring will be pure Sweetgrass. Any male offspring will be phenotypical Sweetgrass but carrying a hidden Narragansett color gene. Do not use those males for breeding.

Last edited:
Thanks, R2! I copied that into my “all things poultry” folder. What do you think about penciled variations?
Again the easiest way to bring in the penciled gene is by breeding a Sweetgrass tom to Penciled Royal Palm hens. Just don't use any of the male offspring as breeders or you will end up with the Narragansett color gene hidden in a turkey that looks like a Sweetgrass.

Ohmygoodness! I’m gonna be looking and looking now! We haven’t had a lot of sunny days here. Maybe a small handful since they started getting color. SD used to be called the Sunshine State (with so many others.) They changed it to the Mount Rushmore State :rolleyes:and I guess the sun got all huffy ‘cause we have had an awfully long wet cold spell since then. Hope we get some sun this year. Hope I’m not wishing for another 7 yr drought. :fl

Ohmygoodness! I’m gonna be looking and looking now! We haven’t had a lot of sunny days here. Maybe a small handful since they started getting color. SD used to be called the Sunshine State (with so many others.) They changed it to the Mount Rushmore State :rolleyes:and I guess the sun got all huffy ‘cause we have had an awfully long wet cold spell since then. Hope we get some sun this year. Hope I’m not wishing for another 7 yr drought. :fl
I had no trouble seeing the pink yesterday. The sun is shining good enough now that if I went and looked I should be able to find some today.

Back
Top Bottom