A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

With lapper training in mind, I climbed into the enclosure where I had thought of containing a turkey or two until they got to know me. I didn't find myself wanting to spend a lot of time in there. I may have to pass on turkeys until I construct something a little more conducive to lounging about with birds.

I dropped my old sewing machine off to be fixed again this morning. Hopefully out won't cost a fortune. My backup is fine for the light stitching but it's just not cutting for the thick stuff when I close the saddles up. So I have a pile sitting here that are ALMOST done but have to wait till I get my old machine back. I really need to do inventory and see what colors I need to stock up on. I know pink, purple, and blue are most requested. Speaking of saddles, I managed to sell 250 last year and 21 tutus :) Thank you all for being my "design team"! Maybe once I get my machine back, I can work on these hunter safety turkey saddles again. I have some ideas to try and see how they work out....

Finally witnessed a successful breeding! As soon as one of the sweetgrass gals squatted, Slater was on her. Fast, efficient, and dare I say, gentile. Looks like a winner, if he weren't so picky... He might have his dad's pickiness?
It is definitely possible that the pickiness was inherited. It is also possible that he is intimidated by Miss Fatty. The good news is that he appears to be a good breeder. My experience is that breeders that start out bad don't get better.

I am hopeful that I will have more fertile eggs early this year since I will have two breeding groups. The original tom will not have as many hens to be picky about to start with. He did eventually breed all the hens last year just not in time for early hatches.

It is definitely possible that the pickiness was inherited. It is also possible that he is intimidated by Miss Fatty. The good news is that he appears to be a good breeder. My experience is that breeders that start out bad don't get better.

I am hopeful that I will have more fertile eggs early this year since I will have two breeding groups. The original tom will not have as many hens to be picky about to start with. He did eventually breed all the hens last year just not in time for early hatches.
He ignores Annabelle and avoids Miss Fatty. Annabelle has been aggressive before, and she's the one who is likely not going to lay again due to egg binding and the problems from last summer...

However she still is the first to squat. She's the only burbon I have left.

I’ve been thinking... Yeah, I know:
upload_2020-1-3_13-10-58.gif

But... I have these beautiful Sweetgrass turkeys from R2. They’re all siblings I think, or if they’re only half sibs I don’t know which are which. I also have (all from Cackle hatchery) male and female Narragansetts, Bourbon Red and Black (I don’t think I’ll use the Blacks for breeding). Plus one TCMB male from R2.

In the interest of genetic diversity, with a goal of primarily Sweetgrass and other Sweetgrass color types in a smaller flock (29 is a lot to feed), what sorts of breeding groups would be a good idea for me to pursue? Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom