A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Fiesty. ..I'm sorry. I've been there too. Never a good thing, especially at the holidays.

Deheltzel...you may want to post over in the "Emergencys " thread. There is a whole group of folks there that can recommend the right antibiotics and the dosage. They will ask you what their poop looks like, how much they weight and possibly pictures.

Ralph...you & Mr. Porter are getting to be buds! :D. Your going to end up with the whole calico flock on his site! So cool he's helping identify some of your guys. CORRECTLY! Better than one of my wild guesses.

So...we got the Lappers (I shortened it), the Tolorants, the Belly Buttons, now we have to add the "Incredibles".... for Ralph ' s calico flock that will end up all over the Porter site. :lol:

Holm, your flock is gorgeous. Send me that sweetgrass /calico tom!!!!

Feathyr...Glad your tom is doing better. Where are the pictures??

I setup dual heated water bowls in the turkey shed yesterday. Today I got a 5 gallon heated water bucket for the pony and looking at it, that seems a lot more appropriate for the turkeys than 2 - 1.5 gallon bowls. Does anyone use a bucket as a waterer?

I have one 5 gallon heated bucket that I keep in the outside area with the turkeys and one 5 gallon (non-heated) bucket that I keep buried in the inside of the chicken coop. I need to re-line the hole with fresh manure so it will still keep cooking once the temperatures get below freezing. So far it hasn't froze yet this year but it has only gotten down to 5°F outside.

Yikes. ..forgot about the Lurky Turkeys!

So, let me try this again:

Lappers = seek laps & snuggles
Tolorants = seek your company and can be handled, but would rather not.
Lurkies = hang out with you but can't be touched
Belly Buttons = turds

I love you hoop tractors dheltzel!
Thanks! I have been through several versions until I worked out the right (for me) balance of easy to move and sturdy/safe. My early versions were a real chore to move, these can be moved in a few minutes, and it's sort of fun, the birds line up when they see me coming with the hand truck because they know it's time for fresh grass!

How long have you been giving them the Oxytetracycline?

I used it on Bert for bumblefoot, but he died anyways. I am curious I am not real knowledgeable about antibiotics.

About a week now, and some have improved, but some are as bad as before, so I'm planning to switch to a different antibiotic, like Lincomycin.

R2elk. ..I'm still curious about the bucket /manure thing. How cold can it get before it freezes? What kind of manure and how much? Can you describe how you made it? I'm rather facinated! I've never heard of anything like that before.

@ memphis:

You'll have to do with pictures that are a few days old; I was too busy yesterday to take any, lol.

Since we're on the subject of sinus infections in turkeys... the aforementioned tom is developing one, presumably from his injuries. I directly applied some VetRX; should I consider giving him an antibiotic as well?

R2elk. ..I'm still curious about the bucket /manure thing. How cold can it get before it freezes? What kind of manure and how much? Can you describe how you made it? I'm rather fascinated! I've never heard of anything like that before.

It really isn't much different than building a hot bed. I used to use horse manure but now all I have are poultry so I use chicken manure. Dig a hole about twice the diameter of the bucket and a four to six inches deeper than the bucket. Pour the manure into the hole enough so that the top of the bucket sits two to three inches above the hole (helps keep dirt out of the bucket). With the bucket sitting in the hole, pack the sides of the hole with manure. Fill the bucket and lightly overflow it to get the decay started.

When I originally started doing it, I was doing it outside because I didn't have any electric to plug into at the little coop I had. Except on -20°+F days I didn't even have to break any ice off, the poultry would already have the ice cracked open before I checked on them.

Back
Top Bottom