A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

It really isn't much different than building a hot bed. I used to use horse manure but now all I have are poultry so I use chicken manure. Dig a hole about twice the diameter of the bucket and a four to six inches deeper than the bucket. Pour the manure into the hole enough so that the top of the bucket sits two to three inches above the hole (helps keep dirt out of the bucket). With the bucket sitting in the hole, pack the sides of the hole with manure. Fill the bucket and lightly overflow it to get the decay started.

When I originally started doing it, I was doing it outside because I didn't have any electric to plug into at the little coop I had. Except on -20°+F days I didn't even have to break any ice off, the poultry would already have the ice cracked open before I checked on them.

Sir, that is the most ingenious idea I have ever heard of!

Nothing better than a Lapper! Here is my Bourbon Red hen, Annie. She's my bearded lady.

I would be glad to show her picture to him, but he is a lurky with high standards. I am not sure he could ever love a bearded woman. HOWEVER< if my palms were greased with the proper amount of cash I would force him to learn to love her......

And all of this bearded lady talk is bringing back a terrible memory from my youth I had thankfully forgotten, Now I cannot get rid of the thought, I may be seeking professional therapeutic help because of that picture. If my insurance does not cover it, expect a call from my lawyer.

I tried several "cans" as they did not have it in bottles, of Mikes Hard Smashed Apple Ale last night and it helped, but as soon as I signed on this morning and saw that picture again, I knew the world was not right.

Edited to add: As I looked at the picture again, I think I have the perfect hubby for her, Ginger will never get a great mate, well, mainly because he is a Boy named Ginger. He would be marrying up if she would take a shining to him.

Last edited:
Ralph...sorry to startle you first thing in the morning. Hopefully you at least had a cup of coffee. My poor Annie, all the other fowl tease her. Daisy has been known to tug on her beard. Even my dogs give her a funny look. I suspect there is some interspecicies teasing going on there. However, even after growing up in a field of pigs, she has turned into a true Lapper! And when she bats those beautiful brown eyes, Ginger would completely forget about the beard! :lol: Maybe Ginger could sneak into your vehicle on your trip south...I can meet you in Nashville! Just don't let Carrie Underwood meet him...she's a country girl and may recognize his unique pedigree. After all JJ & Ethel offspring are now famous!!

Back
Top Bottom