A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

You can get away with it because you only have hens. I have seen some signs of Daisy trying to assert dominance over you from some of the things that you have posted. Its not a big deal with hens but a tom that has been imprinted can turn into a holy terror when breeding season arrives. The operative word here is can. Not all toms react the same way and toms that have been sweethearts can seemingly overnight turn mean.

All of the problem toms that I am personally aware of were imprinted on people at an extremely young age. One neighbor was so upset about his problem toms that he had me raise his next batch of poults for him. He no longer imprints his poults and has not had any of his toms attack anyone since then.
How in the world is it possible not to imprint on the little poults if you are raising them from either day olds or incubation?

I definitely do not know, but I’m gonna guess a Tom can be a bad one just like a rooster can.:idunno I’m sure some of the same principles apply when trying to raise a good Tom as they do in trying to raise a good Roo.

How in the world is it possible not to imprint on the little poults if you are raising them from either day olds or incubation?

I definitely do not know, but I’m gonna guess a Tom can be a bad one just like a rooster can.:idunno I’m sure some of the same principles apply when trying to raise a good Tom as they do in trying to raise a good Roo.
Once I transfer the poults to the brooder, I do not interact with them. I don't pick them up or hold them. Once a day I will add feed once they start going through it pretty good. All the rest of the time, they are by themselves. They are in a separate section in the back of the coop. I refill the water as needed. The only other interaction is removing them from the brooder as they are sold or when they are moved to the grow out pen at two weeks old.

It’s easy to not imprint on them.

High walls they can’t see through. Only add feed or change water. Do it fast.

No holding or talking to them. They will scatter when ever you do reach in.

If I get a lapper it comes out later in life and not as babies.

Once I transfer the poults to the brooder, I do not interact with them. I don't pick them up or hold them. Once a day I will add feed once they start going through it pretty good. All the rest of the time, they are by themselves. They are in a separate section in the back of the coop. I refill the water as needed. The only other interaction is removing them from the brooder as they are sold or when they are moved to the grow out pen at two weeks old.
Awe, bless those babies’ hearts! A little kiss here or there certainly can’t ruin them! :lau

Back
Top Bottom