A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Did your turkey hens lay eggs and brood in the coop too? I hope my turkey hen will do that.
Some times, some times not.

Some times my hens thought eggs were like poop and to be dropped anywhere.

I figured if they did 25% of what I wanted them to do, it was a win for me.

I find the older hens gain a lot of experience which translates to intelligence. Rosabelle is going to be 9 years old this spring and I swear she can read me like a book and she has become an expert momma and egg hider. The yearling hens are dumber than a box of rocks. Rosabelle's older daughter, Pretty Girl, has taken to her role as second momma and this last year teamed up with Rosabelle in rearing poults. Last year was Pretty Girl's second brood, so she has learned a lot. She was raised by Rosabelle herself and it made a big difference as far as her learning curve in how to rear her own poults versus a human reared turkey.

Wow your almost 80 degrees warmer than us.
Up to 50°F now.

Make that 52°F. This is why it is so difficult to grow many trees here. We get January and February thaws followed by killer sub zero temperatures as late as April. If it would stay cold all winter the trees would stay dormant and survive the late freezes.

Last edited:
Up to 50°F now.

Make that 52°F. This is why it is so difficult to grow many trees here. We get January and February thaws followed by killer sub zero temperatures as late as April. If it would stay cold all winter the trees would stay dormant and survive the late freezes.
It must make it hard to keep bees clustered too?

I know you have yours in a green house, but for those that try to keep overwinter outdoors I almost impossible.

It must make it hard to keep bees clustered too?

I know you have yours in a green house, but for those that try to keep overwinter outdoors I almost impossible.
My bees are outside in the elements. I put a package of bees in the greenhouse as a temporary measure last spring when they arrived during a cold spell.

I had one hive last 7 years outside until they coincidentally died the day after the County sprayed for mosquitoes. Another hive did really good for 3 years until I made the mistake of spraying the trees with Sevin. They collected the Sevin, took it back to the hive and killed the whole hive.

Up to 50°F now.

THIS. same here. I guess we are neighbors after all, even if you are a little higher in the mountains than I am.

My bees are outside in the elements. I put a package of bees in the greenhouse as a temporary measure last spring when they arrived during a cold spell.

I had one hive last 7 years outside until they coincidentally died the day after the County sprayed for mosquitoes. Another hive did really good for 3 years until I made the mistake of spraying the trees with Sevin. They collected the Sevin, took it back to the hive and killed the whole hive.
DH and my dad are getting very interested in bees. There's a guy in Stevensville selling 5 frame filled out nucs with fresh mated queens of both sicillian and carolinian, seriously thinking about it, but we would need to pick up some hives, too. There seem to be a lot of different hive types to choose from. They would live outside in the big tree hay field, next to said Big Tree, a big old plains cottonwood surrounded by chokecherries and currants. All the ag is folding up around us as the land becomes commercial or residential, but for now our land will be safe for a number of years yet. No big sprayers nearby, anyways.

Back
Top Bottom