A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

20220602_204205.jpg
20220602_204203.jpg

View attachment 3134285
Tomorrow is the last day of school. She is really excited!

I love this picture :) Mine have been done with school for a week now... only because the last week of school is finals week so if you don't have any finals to do, it's optional.

We had car adventures yesterday 🙄 DS started his first job yesterday as a lifeguard at the local pool. He went to leave and his car battery was dead...he left the lights on apparently. DH and I were both at work so he called his friend who was also working that day who swung by to pick him up... they were both like 20 minutes late. No big deal apparently. Then, since it was a little chilly and nobody really came to the pool, they closed early and sent everyone home. On the way home, the exhaust broke on his friends car. Just snapped off in one spot and was dragging. They had to pull over and with the help of friends and a nice lady that lived nearby they had a couple tools and metal coat hangers to try to rig it up. They couldn't jack it up because of where it was and it was taking forever to get it rigged. Cue my entrance! I was on my way home from work and stopped to see what I could do to help. Since I would just get in the way, I focused on trying to wave at people to slow down and move over. People tend to drive like psychos on that road. Next thing I know, DS looks over at my car and yells at me that it's smoking! YAY! We kill it and open the hood and of course it's over heated. The boys get the other car going... loudly...
and head up to our house so DH can try to do something with it after work and I'm stuck sitting there waiting for him to come through on HIS way home from work. We throw some water in it and he drives it home where we find out that my AC clutch is turning red hot and throwing sparks. When it overheated, antifreeze spilled out and was hitting it and billowing everywhere. So today, DH and I both used a personal day and we're probably going to find a cheap backup car to use for situations like this and while mine is waiting to be fixed. I'm not liking cars right now lol. We found a '13 suzuki kizashi for just under 10k that we might try to pick up. The gas mileage will be a bit better than my old Lincoln, it's AWD so we can have another car that's good in the snow, and all 4 of us can fit in it for when we go to church and everything. Since a lady in a jeep and a deer hit my husband's prius, it's only good for 2 people...3 if you watch the bumps really close lol.

Sorry for the rant lol. In turkey news, I have poults due today! I could hear peeping in the hatcher when I got up :) I had serious incubator issues this year and hatched very few babies so unless I have a whole bunch hatch today, I'm keeping them all!

WOW I guess you did. Prayers you get everything fixed

Thanks. We did go out and get that Kizashi. It still had the"not for sale sticker" on it because it was just traded in on the first and was going through the mechanical and detailing stuff. It's 2013 but only has 43,000 miles and is immaculate! An older couple bought it brand new and didn't run it much apparently.

20220603_164350.jpg

Woah, that looks so cool! I know it most likely isnt, but it reminds me of chimerism in some animals. Such a neat looking poult.
Chimera was my immediate thought when I saw that patch that looked like it belonged on a different poult.

But someone who knows turkey colors better than me will probably be able to say that having a brown spot is actually a thing. It probably indicates something about its genotype. The genetics wizards can pick up on so many subtle things that I just don’t see. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Man @OneMountainAcres ! That is the triple crown of car troubles! I’m glad there was no actual fire in your car. Great deal finding that older car with low mileage.

I have a broody turkey hatching her eggs today. They were due Wednesday, but no sign of anything, so I figured I would wait till Saturday and then candle and toss. In the meantime, a few pips showed up, and then this morning I saw 2 poults and a gosling! Plus 1 fully zipped poult that was smashed in its egg, so I assisted and it was fine. (Unless Peony tramples it 🙄.) And I saw another gosling zipping and another gosling pushing its shell apart!

I will check again before the end of the day. I have been able to lift Peony and look under her this whole time with mild pecking. But now that her babies are hatching, she has started to draw blood! She especially likes to grab my rings and twist as hard as she can. I have resorted to wearing gloves.

Btw, I have sold all my adult turkeys, and Peony is going as well after I let her raise chicks for a week or two. (I told the guy who bought all my Sweetgrass that he couldn’t have her until she was done hatching her eggs.)

Any poults that hatch will be sold, and I will again be turkeyless. I’m also getting rid of my dux. More room for chickens this way. There’s just so many chicken breeds I don’t have yet…:oops:

Sorry, Bob, Bob is gone. But, he went to a young lady who is going to show him in 4H. 😊
And the guy who bought all my SG hens is a more serious breeder than I am, so I think that will help the state of Sweetgrass turkeys in this area.
I may be getting out of Sweetgrass this year. I have Recessive Slates coming.

Personally, the chickens will go before the turkeys do here.

Back
Top Bottom