A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I just got a potential breeding pair of bourbon red turkeys. I’m excited, and they’re beautiful, but having owned one hen previously, I feel slightly sad about their tail coloration.
The male’s tail is completely red, and the hen’s is 2/3s red.
6AB40A5C-B512-4755-8F09-F050CB26EB69.jpeg
95B4C89D-AA81-488F-8906-A128D637331C.jpeg

and then, for comparison, my now dead hen I previously had. She was stunning. Ignore the chocolate tom. He doesn’t matter.
CE1DB05D-5EA3-451B-A126-62C2E2689664.jpeg

I’m expecting tail color on their offspring to be bad as well. Is there any possible way I could improve tail color on the breeding pair? Also, how does their body color look? I‘m a bit inexperienced with bourbon reds, but part of me feels they should be darker.

I just got a potential breeding pair of bourbon red turkeys. I’m excited, and they’re beautiful, but having owned one hen previously, I feel slightly sad about their tail coloration.
The male’s tail is completely red, and the hen’s is 2/3s red.
View attachment 3401641View attachment 3401642

and then, for comparison, my now dead hen I previously had. She was stunning. Ignore the chocolate tom. He doesn’t matter.
View attachment 3401644
I’m expecting tail color on their offspring to be bad as well. Is there any possible way I could improve tail color on the breeding pair? Also, how does their body color look? I‘m a bit inexperienced with bourbon reds, but part of me feels they should be darker.
@austria89

Last 4 days the girls are getting very vocal here and some have started squatting for the Toms much to their approval :D So I have to believe I should see some eggs within next 3 weeks. Time to clean and disinfect all the nesting boxes.:thumbsup
I witnessed the first breeding 5 days ago. I have never had any eggs before March 15.

That must be a confined bird thing....I haven't heard any of the wild turkeys gobbling nor have I heard any hens vocalizing.
Around here the wild hens start laying usually not till April. But the Toms will start gobbling as early as mid to end of February and peak end of March early April. Then they will slow down as the hens begin mating then picks back up for a short time beginning of May for a short time as the hens are sitting nests until they realize the hens are done and not coming to them anymore then it starts getting quit again. Then by end of may you will start seeing hens with poults.

Back
Top Bottom