A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    I'm pretty sure PRB (Poultry Related Blindness) is an affliction that also affects chickens. Specially since several of mine get afflicted by it periodically. If they would just run another two feet they could get through the gate.....but no they gotta stop and turn around and start freaking out.

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    "PBR" seems to affect my flock too. :rolleyes:
    Aurora, absolutely nothing better than crawling back into bed on a rainy morning! Totally jealous! :)

3. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    So...who is ordering the Porter half price surprise box?

Ralph...I can hop over to the Surviving Minnesota thread & do a turkey sales pitch. If you rehome a few of those boys you could make room for the surprise box! :)

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

When it is raining and the weather is generally poopy, like yours is, you should not drive the kids to the bus stop. Make them walk, it will do them good to go through some trials by mother nature. Besides no sense you getting wet when your not the one needing to go to school. If they complain, just tell them, "it big fast inhales to be you".

Getting around the BYC censor and not using the words I want to is getting harder and harder.

5. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    I would love to order the Porters half price Box 'O Birds. What a deal! If only I had the room. :( But then, I fall in love with each one & could part with any. I'd be up to my eyeballs in turkeys.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I am not ordering it, because I have enough turkeys. I would think it would be a great "Starter kit". I want to be more selective at this point.

I am hoping I can get the new varieties by doing egg exchanges with some of you.

It could mean having to change my plans a tad though. I assume most people would want JJ and Ethel DNA and not the rest of them. If people want Penguins DNA, I might just make turkey Jerky out of him and send jerky sticks.

Do any of you know how often a hen has to mate with a tom for the eggs to be good. I know a chicken can go 3 weeks. Is it the same with a Turkey?

7. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    I wish I could... but it was amazing my mom let me place one order of poults, I don't think it would be possible to convince her to let me get another order. Unless... I was gonna sell all the extras... and make some extra money to maybe cover the feed costs... gotta introduce the idea slowly [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  8. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    Ralphie - When did you start enrolling students at the "Penguin School For Belly Buttons"?

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

You have a graduate from the school?

Penguin did that on his own.

As much of a Belly Button as Penguin is, I am betting removing him would change the whole dynamics around here.

10. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    One good successful mating should do all the eggs a hen lays for the season.
    So 3 months at least after mating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by