A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Turkey parents

Turkey parents Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2015
    North New Mexico
    Hey folks sorry I haven't been on had to take my wife to the hospital Monday night. My mother is taking care of our birds while we are gone. I just had what would probably be the only telephonic conversation with a turkey. Mars my hen was chirping and clucking at me me through the phone, my mother said she was walking all around the house looking for me, Jupiter my wife's Tom was just standing there listening and posing hoping my mother was going to take his picture

2. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

Aww, hoping everything is ok!

3. Turkey parents

Turkey parents Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2015
    North New Mexico
    It is now. Pneumonia combined with asthma is never a good thing.

My hen and I have a series of whistles chirps and clucks that I use to get her attention my mother said as soon as I whistled over the phone Mars picked her head up and I could hear her pecking at the phone and clucking. Made my night but also hurt at the same time. Being 100 miles away and not being able to hold her hurt like mad

4. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    X2. Hope it's nothing too serious.

Aurora, do you think your girls are getting ready to lay? :D. I can't wait to see little Adam babies running all over! You need to post more pictures of him & the girls! I'm still trying to get Annie molting pictures!!

5. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    I live west central mo. North of sedalia. About 1 hour from Columbia. Not sure on hens have some 3 to 4 yo hens that still give an egg at least every other day.

I like the looks of ginger but I'm tom rich at the moment.

3rp. 2br. 3bs. 1 bs/bronze. 1 blue red bronze. 1 chocolate. All toms. And 14 hens.

So if you get back thru Mo. Sometime could hook you up with a tom. For daisy.

6. Auroradream26

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Memphis, I hope so! Though, the way I'm going, I'm not going to have room in my bator to add turkey eggs to the bunch lol. Just kidding, I'll find a way, even if I have to remove the auto turner and turn them by hand ;)

I'll try to get some new pictures of everyone soon. It's a really busy week!

7. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Aurora. ...I have complete faith in you finding room in the bator! :lol:

Feedman. ..I have to travel for work thru January. After that, we need to talk turkey! I hate just having the two girls. Scared something could happen to one and I'd be left with one very upset turkey screaming her beak off. I'd probably end up like Turkey Parents with a bird perched on my headboard at night. :rolleyes:

So here are the girls goofing off in my backyard. Right before Annie went bald! I'm trying to make up for all us picture posting slackers! :D

[​IMG]

8. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Chaos - congrats on the bator! Very brave :)

Aurora - my goodness you have eggs - maybe one of your turkey hens will go broody and sit on all of Adams babies for you? Or, you could mail them out and we'll take care of them for you when you run out room :p

Memphis - love the pics of the girls..... They are so pretty. I haven't seen much of my birds off the roost lately.

Ralph - that is quite the impressive inventory of turkeys you have. Glad you made it home safe and sound! Sounds like everyone is behaving normally - belly buttons and all :lol: Can't wait to see what your calico flock hatches out this year. I could definitely provide a belly button-less bourbon tom if you make a road trip west!

Turkeyparents - hope your wife is feeling better soon!

Feedman - Wow, you have a wide array of toms too. I'm having color-envy again! Are your hens a variety as well?

My turkeys are having cabin fever I think.....they're a rowdy and noisy crowd these days. Makes me wish we lived somewhere a bit drier or warmer. I think they'd enjoy their outside time more. Can't wait for the days to start getting longer again. My broody orpington hen is not giving up, so I think I'm giving in. I moved her into a large open crate (in the coop) and gave her 2 "training" eggs. She scooped those suckers under her belly so fast I almost didn't see them vanish. She hasn't left the nest to roost for several days, so if she sits for another day or two, I'll give her real eggs. I guess this is good learning for me - and maybe I'll have turkey eggs one of these days too :fl I can't even imagine what a broody turkey is like - do they growl and develop an attitude??

9. Auroradream26

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Fiesty, I have a bunch of chicken eggs right now. Still waiting on the turkey eggs. I'll gladly share some though once I get some :) You know, the first ones have to go in my bator though lol

10. Auroradream26

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Argh, it is POURING down rain right now! Normally, I would be starting my car to drive the kids to the bus stop right now but there's no way I'm going out there until I have to. The umbrella, of course, is in the car lol. Right now, I'm lounging in the recliner with the dog curled on my lap. I'd be quite content to stay in this chair all day. I think I'm going back to bed after I drop the kids off. It's a perfect morning for that lol

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by