A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Mine is a 1202..

It has no window either.

I am wondering if I dare cut one in..

I am going to get some remote outdoor temp/humidity reading device....  Mine is so old it is made of wood.

Mine's the exact same thing lol. I'm going to just fill the water tray thing and run it for a while with my hygrometer in it. Then I'll just open the door real fast and see what it says and hope that it sticks to the same amount every time lol

Mine's the exact same thing lol. I'm going to just fill the water tray thing and run it for a while with my hygrometer in it. Then I'll just open the door real fast and see what it says and hope that it sticks to the same amount every time lol

I have never even opened the doors on mine to look inside, I have been busy with other stuff, and posting here.

Does yours have an automatic turner? Does mine?

I heard setting them over (by heard I mean read on here somewhere) a bucket of water helps keep moisture up.

I will not be adding water to the tray I prefer the dry hatch.

I have never even opened the doors on mine to look inside, I have been busy with other stuff, and posting here.

Does yours have an automatic turner? Does mine?

I heard setting them over (by heard I mean read on here somewhere) a bucket of water helps keep moisture up.

I will not be adding water to the tray I prefer the dry hatch.

Yes they have an auto turner. Mine's doing a dry test run, now that I finished scrubbing it out, just to see if I can get it at a steady temp. For humidity, I like to keep between 25-35% which is fairly dry compared to what most people do. I want to make sure the humidity doesn't get too high if I do add water or too low if I don't. Mine came with the setup hose for the 5 gallon water bucket on top. I just need to go cut a hole in a 5 gallon bucket and I'm good to go.

Yes they have an auto turner. Mine's doing a dry test run, now that I finished scrubbing it out, just to see if I can get it at a steady temp. For humidity, I like to keep between 25-35% which is fairly dry compared to what most people do. I want to make sure the humidity doesn't get too high if I do add water or too low if I don't. Mine came with the setup hose for the 5 gallon water bucket on top. I just need to go cut a hole in a 5 gallon bucket and I'm good to go.

You can keep the temperature fairly stable as long as you keep the room temperature stable. If you have big fluctuations in your room temperature, you will either have incubator temperature fluctuations or you will be constantly adjusting the temperature.

You can buy a replacement door with a window in it or if handy you can cut your own and install plexiglass for a window. A replacement door will have a single pane of plexiglass in it. I have a 1202 and put a pane of plexiglass on the inside of the door and one on the outside of the door making it a double pane window.

I replaced my original temperature controller with a Spyder controller. I set the temperature digitally and forget about it. As long as the room temperature stays within the heater's ability to keep up or doesn't get too hot, the Spyder controller keeps the temperature within 0.1°F of the set point.

Because I live where the humidity is less than 10% in the house in the winter, I have to add water to be able to get the incubator humidity high enough to do a dry hatch. The bucket reservoir is really wonderful for me.

Good luck.

I just looked it mine!

I am impressed.

I have a enclosed wire/screen rack on the bottom, I assume that is the "hatching tray". I am going to disregard that. I think I can "remanufacture" the turning trays for my smaller hatcher and put another 70 eggs in the bottom. Which will give me a capacity for 340 chicken eggs at a time!

or 286 turkey eggs at once!!

I just looked it mine!

I am impressed.

I have a enclosed wire/screen rack on the bottom, I assume that is the "hatching tray". I am going to disregard that. I think I can "remanufacture" the turning trays for my smaller hatcher and put another 70 eggs in the bottom. Which will give me a capacity for 340 chicken eggs at a time!

That is the hatching tray and I don't recommend that you use it for incubating. If you check I believe that you will find that the bottom area runs about one degree cooler than the incubating trays do. Placing incubating eggs in the lower tray will require them to be hand turned. The 1202 turns the incubating trays every three hours. The fewer times the eggs get turned the worse they do. It is also recommended to not leave the hatching tray in the incubator except when in lock down.

It is a good idea to use your other incubators as hatchers. You could add one tray of eggs each week and be hatching weekly.

That is the hatching tray and I don't recommend that you use it for incubating. If you check I believe that you will find that the bottom area runs about one degree cooler than the incubating trays do. Placing incubating eggs in the lower tray will require them to be hand turned. The 1202 turns the incubating trays every three hours. The fewer times the eggs get turned the worse they do. It is also recommended to not leave the hatching tray in the incubator except when in lock down.

It is a good idea to use your other incubators as hatchers. You could add one tray of eggs each week and be hatching weekly.

What I envisioned was remanufacturing my turner trays from the other incubators and raising them off the floor of the incubator.

I was thinking I would need to add a fan to make sure the temps are correct.

Before I hatch everything I want to check temps on each level including the bottom. I think I will buy a new thermostat before I put an egg in it too so I don't lose a ton of eggs. Maybe even an extra fan.

I would hate to lose eggs to something simply I could have prevented.

BTW it appears by taking one row off the farm innovator turner trays I can slip them into the 1202.

I appreciate you telling me the bottom hatcher area runs cooler. that has to be changed/fixed if my idea works.

Thanks on the hatcher tray having to be out also!

Last edited:
You can keep the temperature fairly stable as long as you keep the room temperature stable. If you have big fluctuations in your room temperature, you will either have incubator temperature fluctuations or you will be constantly adjusting the temperature.

You can buy a replacement door with a window in it or if handy you can cut your own and install plexiglass for a window. A replacement door will have a single pane of plexiglass in it. I have a 1202 and put a pane of plexiglass on the inside of the door and one on the outside of the door making it a double pane window.

I replaced my original temperature controller with a Spyder controller. I set the temperature digitally and forget about it. As long as the room temperature stays within the heater's ability to keep up or doesn't get too hot, the Spyder controller keeps the temperature within 0.1°F of the set point.

Because I live where the humidity is less than 10% in the house in the winter, I have to add water to be able to get the incubator humidity high enough to do a dry hatch. The bucket reservoir is really wonderful for me.

Good luck.

Where did you get the "spydor controller"?

That seems like a smart move.

I just looked it mine!

I am impressed.

I have a enclosed wire/screen rack on the bottom, I assume that is the "hatching tray".  I am going to disregard that. I think I can "remanufacture" the turning trays for my smaller hatcher and put another 70 eggs in the bottom.  Which will give me a capacity for 340 chicken eggs at a time!

I like that idea! If I ever manage to run out of room in the turners (doubtful) I may slip my hovabator auto turner down there, lifted up of course though I seriously doubt I'll ever fill the thing completely. Mine didn't come with a hatching tray but I didn't plan on using it anyway so it doesn't even matter.

You can keep the temperature fairly stable as long as you keep the room temperature stable.  If you have big fluctuations in your room temperature, you will either have incubator temperature fluctuations or you will be constantly adjusting the temperature.

You can buy a replacement door with a window in it or if handy you can cut your own and install plexiglass for a window.  A replacement door will have a single pane of plexiglass in it.  I have a 1202 and put a pane of plexiglass on the inside of the door and one on the outside of the door making it a double pane window.

I replaced my original temperature controller with a Spyder controller.  I set the temperature digitally and forget about it.  As long as the room temperature stays within the heater's ability to keep up or doesn't get too hot, the Spyder controller keeps the temperature within 0.1°F of the set point.

Because I live where the humidity is less than 10% in the house in the winter, I have to add water to be able to get the incubator humidity high enough to do a dry hatch.  The bucket reservoir is really wonderful for me.

Good luck.

I did see the clear does and I may eventually order one. I like to be able to see my eggs. I don't trust myself (or hubby shhhh...) to put a window on the existing door. I'm going to look up the Spyder controller and check it out. I love simplicity. Please tell me it was easy to put in.

Mine came with egg racks but unfortunately, they are bantam sized. I have some egg flats that I could try using by cutting the bottoms out of them and poking holes in them, just until I get some racks ordered in.

I am trying to figure out what I can use for egg racks, without buying any, I did not see any in mine.

Cardboard egg cartons cut up screw with humidity.

I was wonder if foam ones work, or do they cut down air flow.

I am thinking of putting a window in mine.. I actually am thinking of double pane after R2elk said he did that to his.

I do like the idea of an easy thermostat.

The window should be easy cut a hole and glue a Plexiglas over said hole.

Back
Top Bottom