A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Fiesty-did you catch it and get it anchored ok? That's some really crazy wind! I've been outside doing anything I can for the past few days. Today is wet and rainy so it's not as inticing but the last two were amazing. I hung clothes or on the line to dry, we got the tractor out and running, took a bunch of stuff out to the compost, integrated some new babies into the chicken flock, and did a bumble foot surgery. I'm waiting for the wind to die down so we can burn up some cardboard and an old couch. I really can't wait for spring to be in full swing.

Fiesty-did you catch it and get it anchored ok? That's some really crazy wind! I've been outside doing anything I can for the past few days. Today is wet and rainy so it's not as inticing but the last two were amazing. I hung clothes or on the line to dry, we got the tractor out and running, took a bunch of stuff out to the compost, integrated some new babies into the chicken flock, and did a bumble foot surgery. I'm waiting for the wind to die down so we can burn up some cardboard and an old couch. I really can't wait for spring to be in full swing.

Sounds busy, spring is fabulous for creating all kinds of projects!

I did catch up with the tractor! I can tell you that it was a much slower trip dragging it into the wind, back to where it was supposed to be :/. I parked it behind the shop where I hope it was out of the wind. I was very grateful that I moved Coco out of the tractor and into the main flock recently....

We had an amazing weekend here, lovely and sunny. Not sure where this weather system popped up from. I just hope we have power when I get home after work, and that I don't have to go retrieve any other property from exciting places :p

We have had some good weather here too. I have all the turkeys separated and am marking eggs from the pens as I collect them. One hen insists on laying in the little chicken nest box still, at least that egg is good and clean.

Some are just dropping them wherever they walk.

Mr T's girls are using their nest. One of his girls spends all day in the "I am ready, already" position. Submitting to the blue that walks around them all day long. The other Toms spend the day walking around the Guinea Gulag and fighting with the Blue Tom in there. I ended up putting 3 ft high silt fencing all the way around the pen so they could not see each other. Hopefully that is going to help. The Blue is too dumb to breed I think. I told the one by Mr T's pen that he should not give up yet, his turn may come. I will just change Blues out.

I checked again today for development in my Turkey eggs, Day 12 nothing. I might have lucked out and not had any Hen breed before I separated them. If that is the case I have about 5 dozen turkey eggs to eat.

Tomorrow I go to NPIP school. I am hoping when I come home and check my birds none of them have a problem.....

We have had some good weather here too.   I have all the turkeys separated and am marking eggs from the pens as I collect them. One hen insists on laying in the little chicken nest box still, at least that egg is good and clean.

Mr T's girls are using their nest. One of his girls spends all day in the "I am ready, already" position. Submitting to the blue that walks around them all day long.   The other Toms spend the day walking around the Guinea Gulag and fighting with the Blue Tom in there.  I ended up putting 3 ft high silt fencing all the way around the pen so they could not see each other. Hopefully that is going to help. The Blue is too dumb to breed I think.  I told the one by Mr T's pen that he should not give up yet, his turn may come. I will just change Blues out.

I checked again today for development in my Turkey eggs, Day 12 nothing.  I might have lucked out and not had any Hen breed before I separated them.  If that is the case I have about 5 dozen turkey eggs to eat.

Tomorrow I go to NPIP school.  I am hoping when I come home and check my birds none of them have a problem.....

Oh good luck! I would love to go to NPIP school! It just is never anywhere near me :/ maybe someday.

We have had some good weather here too.   I have all the turkeys separated and am marking eggs from the pens as I collect them. One hen insists on laying in the little chicken nest box still, at least that egg is good and clean.

Mr T's girls are using their nest. One of his girls spends all day in the "I am ready, already" position. Submitting to the blue that walks around them all day long.   The other Toms spend the day walking around the Guinea Gulag and fighting with the Blue Tom in there.  I ended up putting 3 ft high silt fencing all the way around the pen so they could not see each other. Hopefully that is going to help. The Blue is too dumb to breed I think.  I told the one by Mr T's pen that he should not give up yet, his turn may come. I will just change Blues out.

I checked again today for development in my Turkey eggs, Day 12 nothing.  I might have lucked out and not had any Hen breed before I separated them.  If that is the case I have about 5 dozen turkey eggs to eat.

Tomorrow I go to NPIP school.  I am hoping when I come home and check my birds none of them have a problem.....

That is a lot of turkey eggs to eat lol! But I know you wanted them to be infertile until your breeding pens were ready :). You'd better get Mr T soon....the girls are waiting :p

I'm going to look up what the NPIP thing teaches....now I'm curious. Have fun in school!

Hey folks. It has been quiet. We had a great weekend. Spent a ton of time digging things up for the Master gardener's plant sale in a few weeks. Then the rain started. We've gotten almost 8 inches in 24 hours. It's a huge mess here. Uck!

Feisty...I can relate to morning dashes dressed for work. That kind of wind freaks me out!

Ralph, I want to hear all about school!!

Hi, I am new to turkeys. Had two hens go to nest. One had a full dozen, the other just two eggs (I had been taking them before I realized she was broody). The one with a dozen eggs nested in a woodpile, the other, on a shelf in the coop. Woodpile had 9 eggs hatch and was a good mom for two days - then she abandoned them and I rescued 7. Meanwhile - I had stolen the remaining three unhatched eggs from woodpile and gave them to Coop. Now Coop is still sitting on three eggs and one poult, in the coop (with three Toms around).

Should I pull the unhatched eggs so she will mother her poult better?
Should I try stealing the poult and brood it with the others in the house?
Should I try to introduce the survivors from Woodpile to Coop?
and finally....
Is a turkey raised poult better enough so that the work involved to get a pen together for them is worth it?

The coop hen is very aggressive, but I should be able to steal stuff if I wear protective clothing...I am afraid she is stuck on the eggs and not the poult. This is their first hatch and I am concerned that they were not hen raised and both might not be good mothers.

Thanks for you advice!!!!

Hi, I am new to turkeys. Had two hens go to nest. One had a full dozen, the other just two eggs (I had been taking them before I realized she was broody). The one with a dozen eggs nested in a woodpile, the other, on a shelf in the coop. Woodpile had 9 eggs hatch and was a good mom for two days - then she abandoned them and I rescued 7. Meanwhile - I had stolen the remaining three unhatched eggs from woodpile and gave them to Coop. Now Coop is still sitting on three eggs and one poult, in the coop (with three Toms around).

Should I pull the unhatched eggs so she will mother her poult better?
Should I try stealing the poult and brood it with the others in the house?
Should I try to introduce the survivors from Woodpile to Coop?
and finally....
Is a turkey raised poult better enough so that the work involved to get a pen together for them is worth it?

The coop hen is very aggressive, but I should be able to steal stuff if I wear protective clothing...I am afraid she is stuck on the eggs and not the poult. This is their first hatch and I am concerned that they were not hen raised and both might not be good mothers.

Thanks for you advice!!!!

Take the lone poult and put it in the brooder with the others.

Turkey raised poults versus human raised poults depends on what you want to accomplish. For non-imprinted poults that won't get confused about the difference between people and turkeys, hen raised poults is the way to go. For imprinted poults that very easily become pets, brooder raised poults works best.

Thank you. I have no goals as far as poult imprinting. Sadly, yours is the advice I should have taken last night. At some point, the too tiny poult left the hen or fell off the nest or whatever and was killed. :( I am hating broody turkey hens right now. I took the eggs away and put a t-post over the area. She lost a lot of weight being broody anyway.

Back
Top Bottom