A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Wyleiria

Wyleiria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2013
    Texas
    I haven't seen it strutting really except one time it had it's head tucked towards it's neck but the wings were not drooping down. I play turkey gobbles on my phone to get a reaction, and most of the time it is fear, then spreading tail horizontally but never a full strut. I am really hoping for female but who knows?!

2. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    If you run Porter's Turkey Color Calculator using the genotype for a Rusty Slate (Bb, Dd, Rr) you will find that Rusty Slates can produce just about any color type.

This "penguin" looks like a Rusty Black to me. In my opinion you must have a very active imagination to think that any of those poults looks like a keet. They all look like poults to me. The one in the middle looks like it will be one of the bronze variations that can happen.

Have fun with them.

3. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Lack of snood makes me think hen.

But wattle development. And looks like carcucles forming on neck. And big feet.

My final guess tom.

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I meant the coloring looks like my keets. I assume it will look like a skinny BBB when it is an adult/ I am loving the variations these two are giving me. I think I can safely say the woman that sold the pair to me and said they were blue slates was a tad off on her info...

I will defer to your expertise on the genotype on Ethel and JJ but what you say makes sense. To me they are beautiful birds even if they are just plain old rusty ones.

I am going to guess on the turkey sex too, I say Tom, but it is a guess I am also saying it because of the neck adornments. Hopefully it will get a longer snood soon, or it could be hard for it to find a girlfriend..

5. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Congratulations Ralph on Ethel's return with her new brood they are little cuties!

1 person likes this.
  6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I have a baby turkey in the house living with 6 keets, poor turkey, it is about a day older than Ethel's babies. Do you think I could get her to take it?

7. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    If you take it to her at dark and rub the baby on her so it will smell like her she might take it. But you would need to keep an eye on it for a few days to make sure it is eating and drinking.

8. feedman77

Jun 10, 2013
    My little firecracker baby.

He showed up 2 day early.

[​IMG]

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Nice,, I have had a lot of 2 day early poults this year...

BTW Ethel was willing to take the baby. The baby refused to go under Ethel, was afraid of Ethel so he is now condemned to a live as a guinea, with the guineas.

10. feedman77

Jun 10, 2013

I was good ethel would accept poult. Strange poult didn't take to her. Hope the poult like guineas and doesn't get a complex. Lol.

I spoke to early this morning my one little firecracker has 5 more playmates. One egg left to go.

Either I was off on my days or temp was high on bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by