A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I just have cheap thermometers in my Incubators and they all show me running about 1/2 degree cool or more. I have tried to bring it up that last half degree but then I hit 102. Too high for bators with fans.

I still had almost every turkey hatch 2 days early. BUT the guineas went 2-3 days over...Chickens were right on time. I had about 7-8 hatches of turkeys too.. strange.

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    My final hatch of the year.

Started with 14 eggs. Had 3 clears. They started hatching early so I didn't get them to lockdown on time.

2 of those were late quitters. Of the 9 that were left one internal pipped and died. One external pipped and died.

So I got 7 new babies. But the good thing is 3 of those were palm babies. My highest percentage of palms all year.

So I have a total of 5 palms to try and get to adults.

3. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Ralph, seeing Ethel and her babies makes me smile! They are so cute!

Feedman- Congrats on your hatches! Seems it went well.

Last night I noticed on 2 of the turkeys, and sort of on the third, spots on the legs where spurs might be starting. Do hens get any kind of bump there? Or just toms?
    I will be really sad if both Tomahawk and Banshee are toms. I don't think we can keep 2 toms and no hens... that would probably get ugly.

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    We had a terrible storm last night and it is still raining, I am trying to keep myself from running out and see how Ethel and the babies are.

I know, in my head, running out to look would just upset her and make her move off them and expose them to the elements.

BUT I am still fighting the urge to go check on them.

MM it is amazing you should ask that. I was noticing just last night my Yearling tom has 1/2 spurs and my hens have bare legs.. No bumps at all..

The reason I was looking was to see who wounded my young tom, I have decided it was Ed my chanticleer rooster. I saw the young tom jump on ED to keep him from the treats at chicken TV time. Ed did not take this well and jumped back at the young tom. ED had inch long spurs, and went right to the toms chest. Hopefully the tom will learn to leave Ed alone.

I try to not get involved in the pecking order as it just seems to come back on me by injuring more birds as they re-establish the order.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  5. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    I would want to go check too!

We also have rain today. It is a great break from the heat we have been having.

So I know for certain Dinner and Banshee are toms. Well, as certain as I can be with all my amateur guesses on kicking feet, spur bumps and waddles. Tomahawk is maybe a tom, but I really tend to think a hen.
    "She" is smaller than Banshee (though the same age), thinner legs, has not lost all the neck downy yet, no waddle development yet, did not kick legs when flipped upside down, and is the most submissive one. I've never seen Tomahawk strut (though I know hens do it too).
    Anyhow, not that it matters too much right now.

Ed is a force to be reckoned with! Taking on a tom...

I have stepped in a couple of times in the pecking order with Dinner. He seemed likely to kill Kokanee (sadly the fox did it for him). That was the head stomping and pecking episode.
    We have figured out that when we give a chicken attention and pet or hold them, he loses his marbles. We are his I guess.
    He has even tried to boss the dog around. Now that is funny.
    He doesn't like the dog to lay by the back door. That is Dinner's spot. It cracks us up every time. It gets even funnier when you see the look on Dinner's face when we let the dog in. He is so sad.
    By stepping in, he has become a bit less aggressive. Seems to understand that there is no need to be so violent, everyone will submit to the big turkey!

6. irishsilkie

irishsilkie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    i dont know anything about turkeys but i am looking at keeping a few for christmas dinner what age do you slaughter and what gender what are the best breeds and what sort of height are they as i need to know what size coop many thanks and overall are they worth it what do you feed them would rolled oats or barley do or is it special feed

7. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

Welcome!!! My coop I am finishing is 4 ft tall for my meat turkeys geese and other fowl. I use the BRoad breasted whites and Broad breasted bronze for meat turkeys and it all depends on how u raise them for butcher age. I am free ranging and not feeding mine at all so they grow super slow til october or maybe even November. I used Royal Palm last year for meat and they were the best turkey I have ever tasted but small. If u r bot going to free range they need more than oats and barley so they get the proper protein and nutrition. If they do free range then its fine. I feed mine syarter for a week and at the end of the week mix a little in a big short tub of dirt so they used to scratching for their food and finding it. At the end of that week I move them outside and they go in the big coop at night and out during the day.

8. irishsilkie

irishsilkie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015

what gender is the best or does it matter and whats the best age to slaugher

9. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

For heritage breeds toms are best but with Broad breasted breeds it doesnt matter they both get big. On age it really depends on how big u want them.

10. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by