A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Aurora.....hoping Eve proves to be a good moma. Keep us posted.

Gander...nothing cuter than the poults strutting...
big_smile.png

Summer has settled upon the south. Hot & very humid. We learn not to breath too deeply for fear of drowning in this humidity. Birds are smart. They stay shaded, take advantage of the baby pool & fans. Laying has slowed down. The chickens go into their coop almost an hour before the turkeys. With all the egg laying and evening bug hunting done for the day, it's the turkeys chance to relax before bedtime. Last night I had one on each arm of my Adirondack chair. Just chilling.
goodpost.gif

R2elk had a successful Porter egg hatch. Ralph....hope you do too. What did you order?

Come on Aurora. ...we need mottled pics! When you get some time. How is Eve doing?

Fiesty....is Coco still hold up in the dog crate??

I ordered 8 royal palms and 12 APA breeders choice. No colors just the APA ones. I will see what I get.

Memphis, I'll get you some pics, eventually lol. I need to clear some space on my memory card and charge the camera batteries.

So far We've is doing ok. She hatched both of the turkey eggs that were under her. She has one bourbon and one red bronze. I have her 2 more CCL boys this morning too. I found one dead this afternoon but I think that's because two other hens pushed in there to lay eggs today. One may have killed it. I'm going to have to put up a barrier until she's ready to leave the nest. So far though, she's doing good with them and accepting them.

ETA: she doesn't seem too protective. Maybe it's just a me thing but she let me look under her and move stuff around and check things out without even puffing up but then again, she is my girl :)

Last edited:
Ralhie: sorry about black poult. Good luck on your porters eggs.

Aurora: congrats on eve's hatches.

Copper 2: I would say bronze.

Memphis: have you figured out how to market your new form of mosquito control.

I am trying a new venture coturnix quail. Bought 15 females and 12 males. Never had quail so will see how it goes.

My broody bourbons had 4 poults yesterday. 1 was gone this morning and 1 was dead in the nest. So I caught the 2 that were left and am now brooding inside.

Emptied my brooder of chicks today. But while I was at the sale. I picked up what was supposed to be a Bourbon red tom.

Thought I would replace my old tom with some new blood. He was in a small box couldn't see much of him. I noticed his tail looked awfully brown but bought him anyway.

When I let him out in a confinement pen.

He was not a Bourbon red. But I think he is a Bourbon buff or auburn. His feathers resemble a chocolate turkey but with white wings. Breast feathers brown and black tipped edge. Tail is dark brown with light brown tips.

I should known probably wasn't what was marked. I watched them sell a blue red bronze as a blue slate. And a bronze as a black spanish. To them they were just turkeys. They sold them off of what person who sold them thought they were.

Feedman...the new tom sounds interesting. Post pics when you get a chance. Quail are cute! Friend of mine raised them. Seems they were always escaping. You'll have to keep us posted on the quail adventure.

Sounds like Eve is doing pretty good as a new moma! I believe Ralph said Ethel will let him check her nest without going ninja. I'm betting she trusts you enough to let you near her.

Ralph...you ordered the surprise pak! Oh I hope the hatch goes well so we can all play "guess the turkey breed"!!

Memphis: I have a few pics of my new tom. Also a couple of my bourbons for comparison. Will upload when I get to work mon.

Copper 2: I've heard of blue red bronzes. Last year I had a tom that gave me the possibility to hatch some. I still have one tom left out of that combination.

My friend and I have been working on the "new" coop and tonight I decided it was done enough for the mommas, babies and 2 chickens to move in. We had to catch each bird and carry them from the grow out pen, since I don't have the gate to the pony pasture poultry proofed yet. 9 poults and 9 chicks. I lost one poult a week or so ago. I think it might have been a fence mishap, but I don't really know. Anyway, all 3 momma hens did really well with my friend and I catching babies, which were not cooperative at all! I caught each hen and other than loud protests, they did great. They don't really know my friend, so I was happy they took everything in stride. Tomorrow they get to go out in the big pasture and free range. Hoping I don't have to clip wings, but I probably will have to. Fingers crossed I can get them back into the coop tomorrow evening!

Back
Top Bottom