A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

So you all have heard me talk about my gang of chickens and turkeys. I mentioned the hen that was trying to go broody. She has been out with the other birds last couple days. The thing that is got me puzzled is the sudden drop in eggs we are getting. It was up to 4-5 a day. Now for about a week we are only getting 1-2 a day at the most. Nothing has changed as far as routine, diet, housing- nothing. Weather has been slightly cooler but only a couple nights that got down to 40. That's it. Any clues or ideas what might be going on? They have been laying good and tragic at for over a month. The silkie is the only one we aren't sure has been laying. The rest- 2 buff orps, a BSL, a LF Cochin, and a frizzle, have been seen laying. We are completely confused. They don't appear to be molting. Just a few feathers like normal. Please let me know what you all think might be happening. Oh combs and waffles are red as usual and no one appears to be ill. Acting totally normal.

The length of the day has changed. Getting eggs this time of year is unheard of here.

r2elk I like the pictures and I had to laugh at the guineas versus turkeys comment.

I did not finish in the money. However, after seeing what they were judging on I wish I had taken either sidekick or the "other one" either one would have one, even with sidekick losing the points on his toes. It was basically size that counted. Sidekick would have dwarfed the winner. The winner did not have perfect toes either.

I have a simply question, have any of you ever taught your turkeys to "kennel up" when you need them in a crate? I am thinking it would save me a ton of stress if I could get the turkeys to "kennel up" and maybe even leash trained...

Ralph....i just pick up my girls & put them in a kennel. So next year youll hav e to bring some of your big guys!

I'm still considering the Ohio Nationals in November.....anyone??

R2elk...thanks for the bit of turkey hen trivia!! Learn something everyday!!

The length of the day has changed. Getting eggs this time of year is unheard of here.

r2elk I like the pictures and I had to laugh at the guineas versus turkeys comment.

I did not finish in the money. However, after seeing what they were judging on I wish I had taken either sidekick or the "other one" either one would have one, even with sidekick losing the points on his toes. It was basically size that counted. Sidekick would have dwarfed the winner. The winner did not have perfect toes either.

I have a simply question, have any of you ever taught your turkeys to "kennel up" when you need them in a crate? I am thinking it would save me a ton of stress if I could get the turkeys to "kennel up" and maybe even leash trained...

Turkeys can learn if properly motivated. There definitely have been turkeys that were leash trained. The "kennel up" should be able to be accomplished by placing treats in the "kennel". Unfortunately since you most likely will be breaking that training by doing something with them that they don't like after "kenneling" them, it would very quickly break that learned habit.

Since people friendly turkeys do like to go for walks it is possible for the leash training to work well.

The day light is getting shorter they usually need around 14 hours if day light we have them extra day light in the AM so we wouldn't mess with teir returning home to roost it did make a difference

I did not finish in the money. However, after seeing what  they were judging on I wish I had taken either sidekick or the "other one" either one would have one, even with sidekick losing the points on his toes. It was basically size that counted. Sidekick would have dwarfed the winner.  The winner did not have perfect toes either.

I have a simply question, have any of you ever taught your turkeys to "kennel up" when you need them in a crate?    I am thinking it would save me a ton of stress if I could get the turkeys to "kennel up" and maybe even leash trained...

I never tried to teach them "kennel up" but they certainly know what "bedtime" means and will neatly file into the coop (usualy)

Last edited:
Mine know the word bedtime too, it means become the biggest PITA possible, 3 will of in one will make a break for it then the rest will run the other way.
lau.gif

In the evening, I hold the door open and my turkeys single file into the pen, then I close the door.

Mine go in after I threaten to kill them all and swear enough to heat the air around me.

I think you should come stay with me for a couple weeks and train my turkeys.

It seems that "bedtime" is somewhat open to interpretation :) Mine know "inside". I also use treats when they don't listen (mine are unable to resist the shaking of mealworms - pigs that they are). It's funny to watch them thinking hard "no, it's a trap.... but there's treats, I MUST go" :rolleyes:

if mine are full and in a PITA mood, they will not get off the top of the hoop coop for even mealworms.
barnie.gif
only a scary plastic down spout chasing them several times up and down the length of the coop will get them down
So they get locked up at last feeding.

Back
Top Bottom