A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Holm! Now that's what I call a mixed flock! :D
Is that a Sweetgrass hen I'm seeing in the back of the first picture?

No its a Bourbon redxRoyal palm cross tom. U dont get much more mixed than my flock!!

Last edited:
Another novice question...as turkey hens age does their laying slow down or stop like chickens?

Since my boys are only 10 lbs, what can I do to get them to gain as much weight as possible over the next month? Lots of corn and higher protien feed about all I can do? I also don't want to over fatten all the girls who won't be butchered lol

Hi Folks,
Looking for advice on fencing. Our one and only Tommy boy decided to visit the neighbors who are closest to our house (about 500 ft away through some woods) because he heard their children on their day off. When I got there I could see about 12 people, several snapping photos. They were delighted. I apologized and said I had no idea he was wandering off the property.

Now I'm worried about letting him free range again without fencing in case he should accidentally hurt one of the little children. He strayed into our yard were we made our best efforts to find his owners by calling both the warden and animal control officer. Visited all the farms in the area they mentioned and 2 more with no luck and then we fell in love. So now we've built him a pen and are building him a house.

What would you recommend for fencing inside the perimeter of the woods between our yards that could keep him out of trouble.

Any advice much appreciated. Cost is a consideration, too. :))
Maureen

Hi Folks,
Looking for advice on fencing. Our one and only Tommy boy decided to visit the neighbors who are closest to our house (about 500 ft away through some woods) because he heard their children on their day off. When I got there I could see about 12 people, several snapping photos. They were delighted. I apologized and said I had no idea he was wandering off the property.

Now I'm worried about letting him free range again without fencing in case he should accidentally hurt one of the little children. He strayed into our yard were we made our best efforts to find his owners by calling both the warden and animal control officer. Visited all the farms in the area they mentioned and 2 more with no luck and then we fell in love. So now we've built him a pen and are building him a house.

What would you recommend for fencing inside the perimeter of the woods between our yards that could keep him out of trouble.

Any advice much appreciated. Cost is a consideration, too. :))
Maureen

The height of the fencing isn't really that important. I put up a 6' tall fence of 2"x4" welded wire because I wanted to keep deer out as well as keeping my turkeys in. A 4' tall fence will most likely be sufficient. The most important thing about building a fence to keep turkeys in is do not put up a top rail. A top rail is extremely inviting to any turkey to hop up on and perch there. Unfortunately it seems like they get down on the wrong side of the fence far more often than not.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom