A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Found a little envelope in my mail box addressed to "Daisy". It's a birthday party invitation for one of the little girls on the street turning 6. Sooo....I called the mom. The party is next Saturday. Just the grandparents, aunt, uncle & 2 cousins. Small family BBQ kind of thing. I explained to her Daisy is a food theif...I have visions of her ending up in the middle of the cake. But she said her daughter was really hoping for Daisy to come meet her grandparents. So I told her I'd bring her down for a few minutes before they start any food stuff. Guess I'll wrap up one of her eggs as a present. Maybe add a feather. Geez.

Boucher - Welcome! And I'm very sorry to hear about your dog :hugs. We have lots of very senior animals here at our place, so I can sympathize - it's no fun, but you want to be with them when it happens.

Aurora - I can't wait to see what the mottled babies look like when they get bigger - they are going to be beautiful!

Feedman - I have to agree, the bourbons and palms are so pretty as they grow up! I love so many colors, and wish I had space for them all :)

Memphis - OMG, Daisy invited to a birthday party :gig. You need to harnass train that girl and start taking her out as a therapy bird! I love it! Your neighbors are great.

I am new. I would like to join in. I've had chickens my whole life. We just got Guineas, and I am looking into getting turkeys. What kind of turkeys should I get any recommendations.

I guess it depends what you want the turkeys for. If you are wanting to raise for meat - the broad breasted are fine (but aren't designed for longevity and can't breed naturally). If you are looking to breed them, keep them longer - then any heritage breed is a much better choice. Heritage breeds come in a variety of colors. I prefer heritage since I tend to get attached to them and want them to live a while :).

Boucher....Feisty is right...we love our heritage birds. Let us know what you get! And post lots of pictures. I love going to Porters Heritage Turkey site to check out all the different varieties.

Feisty...this kid is usually here once or twice a week to visit Daisy. Her mom says she's the only kid she knows who wants a turkey instead of a puppy. She's really good with the birds. Very gentle. Another turkey lover in the making!

Found a little envelope in my mail box addressed to "Daisy". It's a birthday party invitation for one of the little girls on the street turning 6. Sooo....I called the mom. The party is next Saturday. Just the grandparents, aunt, uncle & 2 cousins. Small family BBQ kind of thing. I explained to her Daisy is a food theif...I have visions of her ending up in the middle of the cake. But she said her daughter was really hoping for Daisy to come meet her grandparents. So I told her I'd bring her down for a few minutes before they start any food stuff. Guess I'll wrap up one of her eggs as a present. Maybe add a feather. Geez.

That is super sweet! She's going to be so thrilled to see Daisy visit the party :)

Apparently her parents were waiting to get a dog until she was old enough to help with it. I have the feeling her dad is a bit put out that she would rather get a turkey. Another misunderstood turkey enthusiast. We'll go down long enough for her to introduce Daisy to her grandparents. Hope they have a sense of humor.

My worthless brother is here from North Carolina. This morning we went outside while I did the chicken chores. We had been watching JJ and the tom strutting their stuff. They were in strutting overdrive.

As we walked we saw a wild hen take off and run from the domestic turkeys back into the woods to the south! So Porter is not the only Tom that is attracting a wild woman!

The DNR up here is not going to be happy when people start shooting these half wild/half slate turkeys this fall.

I have seen hens come close, but this is the first time I saw one actually in the yard with JJ.

Ok, so I'm sure JJ was most accommodating to his wild girlfriend. But how do the hens react? I wouldn't think they'd be as accommodating as JJ. :/

Someday, later this year you may see the wild JJ babies wandering around.

Back
Top Bottom