A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Photovoltaic - solar panels. I'll post pictures when it is up and running. I kept the turkeys in their pasture, so they wouldn't get in the way of the installers. They loved hearing all the poultry and the "chatter" and went to visit them several times. While the installers were here, there was such a commotion I had to go out and investigate. I got there in time to save the chicken hen the hawk had its talons on! :)

CherMoz....cool! Cant wait to see the pics. I think you should let those turkey birds out to help the installers!:lol:

So...Annie is still sitting. She layed another egg, which I confiscated. But she hops off the nest to spend time in the pool, the dust bath spa and to beg for treats. I've been wetting her feed in a small bowl. I just hold it & she thinks she's getting something special. This happens a few times a day. I think the bird is playing me. And of course Daisy also thinks she's getting something more exciting than soggy feed. I have to throw her in a pen while I'm basically hand feeding my supposed broody. That of course puts Daisy in a snit. Drama Queens! :rolleyes:

Wow, we really have slowed down on the turkey talk.

I finally have something to report. The Porter Gang have decided they are indoor birds and not outdoor birds. They spend the entire day inside the shed with the younger chicks and show birds in it. They sit on everything and refuse to leave.

At bedtime tonight it too Judy and I 5 minutes to get them out the door. Then they saw a chicken running for the chicken coop. so they chased it all the way. They went right by their pen. When we chased them back from the coop they went right past their pen again and ran to the Guineas pen. We had a door open on a pen we had just put a small shelter in, and they ran into it. So we locked them in. That was going to be their pen in a few days, so now they can start early.

The older turkeys went in without a problem tonight, or 7out of 8 did. When I counted I was one short. She was behind me again, Stupid Bird!

Wish one of you would show turkeys! Ralph I think that hen is just playing you. She's probably on her roost snickering

Well my excitement for the day was spraying the boys down for fleas :rolleyes: I think I just witnessed the most gentlemanly fight ever.

Took the boys out individually to spray their nethers and under their wings etc (I've noticed that if I'm holding one down the others will take the opportunity to yank snoods). Put them back in together and all of a sudden we had a full out beat-on-each-other scrap. So I waded in to do some wrassling :). Put a bourbon boy under each arm while I was squatted down between them. They were awfully angry and wouldn't chill out at all. So they trilled (I may be a bit hard of hearing now) and very carefully reached around me to pull each other's snoods. Sat between them for about half an hour - every time I let them go, they would take off after each other and try to beat the snot out of each other. It was extremely comical - two very angry birds, alternating between hiding their heading under my armpits and trying to take chunks out of each other. Both of them would stop immediately if I put any part of me where they were trying to bite - such gents I have :gig. Not once did they touch me except to hide their heads.... Boys!

Big Bird is almost done molting I think - she has been walking around showing off all her new feathers. She even has most of a new tail now (she was down to one tail feather) :)

Feisty....those boys are a hoot! And Big Bird looks great!

JR, I've heard Palms fly well. I think Aurora can attest to that.

Annie is still sitting. She does come & hangs out when I'm outside. Wish she'd give it up.

I bought turkeys because my wife likes turkey eggs but wound up with 3 toms and only one hen. She is laying now but i was wondering if turkeys lay like chickens, roughly one per day?

Back
Top Bottom