A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Thats a good point. When i first found Daisy she was covered with dried poop. So I bathed her. My chickens get poopy butts washed occasionally. But it does strip the oils...so here its on an as needed basis.

You do realize that bathing feathered critters is not good for their feathers? It removes the protective oils.

It is like women and shampooing their hair.

I bathe them to clean them, then I have to use a conditioner rinse on the feathers, followed by a glycerin rinse to help put oils in and make them shine.

Not counting the thing I had to put on my cuts bruises and broken bones. BTW WienerHead scratched the poop out of my face today. I was holding him talking nice to him as I cleaned his cage and gave him new feed. He then went nuts and let me have it. He almost did not survive until the next show.

I put him in the chicken half nelson head lock and threatened to snap his neck. When I released him from the half nelson he was much better behaved.

...and then not want to get out???

No, he was very happy to be in his cage. I came back to him and picked him up and he did not fight even a little. Wienerhead can learn!

I have all my turkeys in one pen together tonight. My young and old have started to hang out together the last week or so. Tonight when I shock the bucket of treats for them the young came running. I had 15 young in before the old ones got there. I had to chase 2 young ones into the coop and then the pen, which got me up to 17. I went to the old pen picked up Snitch and carried her to the new pen. She complained and whine the whole way. Snitch thinks she is a better "teacher's pet" if she does not leave the pen except to follow me around. She seemed disheartened when I put her in the pen with the other turkeys. I got that, "I am just like them" look.

This is good it clears up one more pen for breeders.

Look who's big blue butt I caught in the chickens dust bath spa! This old fire pit easily holds three , but only part of one turkey hen. I was wondering who was scratching out all the dirt!!

I have a "lean too" off the old granary, it has a sand floor. The sugar sand we have here is very fine. Yesterday I walked by it an had about 2 dozen birds bathing in the sand. They will spend all winter in there bathing. It is dry enough that it does not freeze.

I have not been out to see how my flock mixed last night. It is rainy and overcast today so a good day for eagles and hawks to pick them off. They will stay in a while longer.

It looks like Adam broke his middle toe :/ lately, I noticed that he's been managing to get his big butt up in the rafters with everyone else somehow. I just always thought he was too hey to do it since he was always the only one actualy sleeping on the roost. I'm guessing he perfected the getting up part but getting down, not so much. His middle toe is all settled and lived up but he's not limping or anything. He may be a serious belly button but I feel bad for him.

Back
Top Bottom