A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

The color black in turkeys was originally developed in Spain from turkeys taken from America. They were called Spanish blacks, and in England, they were called Norfolk blacks. After about 2 centuries they were brought back to America and mixed with the wild type. The name Spanish black has stuck and is still used today by many people.

That may well be true but today there are many Slate Blacks that are often sold as Spanish Blacks when many of them are not true blacks at all.

The color black in turkeys was originally developed in Spain from turkeys taken from America. They were called Spanish blacks, and in England, they were called Norfolk blacks. After about 2 centuries they were brought back to America and mixed with the wild type. The name Spanish black has stuck and is still used today by many people.

I would beg to differ with you on that, The blacks as I understand were developed all over Europe shortly after new world turkeys were brought back to the continent .

The difference today is how we get blacks. We have an APA and SOP that list the breeds we have. "Spanish Blacks" is not in there. Blacks are.. Any way you get 2 B genes into a poult you have a black turkey.

It is not the name of a breed or variety of turkeys. It is an antiquated outdated term used to describe something that wasn't.

I have had people look at my rusty blacks, slate blacks, barred black or what have you and call them "Spanish Blacks" It is a poor term for a turkey person to use.

Last edited:
Just pointing out where the name came from and that it still is in use today by some people whether it's considered proper or not.

Daisy is through her molt and based on her behavior I have a feeling she's going to start laying again. Hmmmm

The same with Daisy. She also hopped up on the roof of the garage yesterday. She only does that sort of thing when she's thinking of laying. Both girls did this last year....started laying again after their molt. Seems they only stop laying during their molt. Which amounts to an egg break of about three months.

Back
Top Bottom