A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

RP's....I still maintain they are "different".

Speaking of fun turkey hens...I turn my dogs out before dawn. Each morning as I pass their coop I hear quiet little hen trills coming from their pen. They don't get off their roost...Just sort of a sleepy good morning chatter.

On the way out of Missoula this morning I saw this....
View attachment 1297521
We have two just like it in the living room! Maybe another after the spring hunt... There was a monster of a tom strutting around the hay field yesterday... We have really good nesting grounds here... The turkeys love it... We have a woods on one side and hayfields and fields with a stream so they are set lol...

Third day in a row without my owl buddy. Three days ago it was in the magnolia hooting up a storm. I heard another from a distance returning the call. Maybe the owl found love in someone else's yard! I can only hope....

Or Maybe this is your story and it is a darn good one too BTW.....When the owl is actually decomposing in a hole in the ground covered by dirt after a small projectile accelerated by a control chemical explosion through a long steel tube entered it's body....maybe..

Back to Missoula again today. Not getting back till Sunday. It's going to be really nice in Memphis. Hate to miss a nice weekend. Our last few have been rainy. Ralphie...I waive to ya when you I change planes in Minneapolis.

Got my first egg. No idea which layed it. Now my question would be; how long after breeding would you start seeing viable eggs? 0322181555[1].jpg

So far 5 eggs over the last 4 days from 4 hens.

So I’m looking at switching the chickens in my brooder to a local mill’s feed made in our area and I go to the local feed store to get a small bag to try. $6 for 20 pounds seems ok and supporting small business and local and all that jazz... they load it up for me and as I’m unloading it I see the mill date is July 2017. Ummm I thought most are feed within 6 months (less ideally).

Probably not worth the hassle of returning it for $6 (and a 35 minute drive) but I won’t be getting feed there for anything anytime soon!

Got my first egg. No idea which layed it. Now my question would be; how long after breeding would you start seeing viable eggs?View attachment 1307028
Theoretically it can take a couple of days. My turkeys typically start breeding about a month before the hens start laying. Everything seems to be running late here and the breeding which normally starts in February did not start until the 1st of March. I found my first egg today. Because of where the egg was laid, I am pretty sure which hen laid it. She also happens to be the first hen that I saw get bred this year.

Back
Top Bottom