A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Lol he keeps running by them. The angriest turkey is actually a tri colored mottled black Jenny. She's the meanest of this year's batch! She's even more aggressive than the boys!
That is normal behavior for the lowest in the pecking order to take it out on other creatures.

My teenagers almost gave me a heart attack! Daisy & I were around front for a few hours while tidying up the yard. Gate was open, but they only take a step or two out of the backyard. When I got back...no teenagers! Anywhere. Nothing. Found them sitting in the rafters of the garage. Whew! Left the side door open. Boy were they proud of themselves! They flew right down. They scared me!

My teenagers almost gave me a heart attack! Daisy & I were around front for a few hours while tidying up the yard. Gate was open, but they only take a step or two out of the backyard. When I got back...no teenagers! Anywhere. Nothing. Found them sitting in the rafters of the garage. Whew! Left the side door open. Boy were they proud of themselves! They flew right down. They scared me!
That's scary :barnie

I let my first turkeys out to free-range with the chickens and they ran down the mowed path took a turn and headed to the woods. I figured they were gone. 5 minutes later they came running back. :rolleyes:

LOL! I'd be running after them Molpet!
I'm lucky to have Daisy here showing the teenagers how to behave! Daisy was on my lap this afternoon. Blossom came up and kept pacing around and looking up at me. I believe she was trying to figure out if she could hop up too. The other two were almost sitting on my feet preening. Hanging with the hens!!

LOL! I'd be running after them Molpet!
I'm lucky to have Daisy here showing the teenagers how to behave! Daisy was on my lap this afternoon. Blossom came up and kept pacing around and looking up at me. I believe she was trying to figure out if she could hop up too. The other two were almost sitting on my feet preening. Hanging with the hens!!
Ha chasing just scares most critters and they really run away

Here's a funny one, at least to me. Apollo is doing well on learning to leave the birds alone, but the turkeys won't ignore his presence, especially when he is puppy bouncing all over.

You have some stunning turkeys!! I like calico flocks so much better than one variety..

I agree Ralphie!! I'm lucky having city girls. Neighbors enjoy them. I've never had a harsh comment about them. Many of the neighbors will even bring visitors to meet them. But....they are quieter than most of the dogs around here and don't cause any trouble...or smell...and the kids especially love them. They are just sweet lawn ornaments. I have supplied feathers for COUNTLESS school projects, let Daisy go to birthday parties, let the hunters practice turkey calls, given away eggs, taken countless pictures of folks holding them....and always take time to talk to anyone who wants to hear their story or "touch" a turkey. Its work being a "City Turkey" advocate!! I do feel folks have a new appreciation for turkeys after meeting one. All totally worth it!

Back
Top Bottom