A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

well..... saturday was a day to visit live in person chicken friends, after we finished up at our farmers market( not a great day but folks are starting to come looking for us) got to help my friend with toenail trimming on some of her older birds and collect some eggs from our shared marans project that she had been saving for me to put in the incubator( christmas babies here we come) also put in the first 8 eggs for DD's black turkey project for our local fair. She is starting to get very excited! we are hoping that the eggs she is getting are from the broad breasted black hens( she has a few heritage in there also)
Yesterday was a flock reduction day, we butchered last years breeder tom(he was starting to get overprotective when I went into feed.... luckily a bucket to the head would distract him) we will weigh him tonight but he barely fit in a normal size turkey shrink bag. we also processed 2 jakes that were 7ish months old, the tom had a thick layer of fat the jakes only had a small amount of fat. we butchered about 20 cockerels, it is getting cold enough here that we needed to eliminate any that were not going to be part of our breeding programs. oh and 2 ducks. next year I think we will shoot to be done with any processing by thanksgiving... it got COLD by the time we were done.
tonight we will finish rearranging birds so that our breeding pens are set up for our spring hatching season. the kids have so many things they are looking to hatch for fair!

It will be collected by the garbage service.
The first time DH caught a raccoon, (my dad set a snare because the guy was too smart for the live trap) he paraded it all over after shooting it in the head ( the snare caught around the waist). It had been in the henhouse several times and had killed his buddy Merlin. He even brought it to my work to show me while I was at lunch!
He was pretty silly.

I forgot about this thread. Nice job on the tribute @R2elk.

Raccoons are moving in Central MN. We have been trapping them in the grainery. Son put a trap on the 2nd floor forgetting that if he trapped something, he would need to take it down the steep steps. So daughter came to his rescue and carried it down for him. So far they have wondered into a live (box) trap to find the dry cat food. We may need to up the game with marshmallows.

I forgot about this thread. Nice job on the tribute @R2elk.

Raccoons are moving in Central MN. We have been trapping them in the grainery. Son put a trap on the 2nd floor forgetting that if he trapped something, he would need to take it down the steep steps. So daughter came to his rescue and carried it down for him. So far they have wondered into a live (box) trap to find the dry cat food. We may need to up the game with marshmallows.
Long time no see!
Getting ready to start up the breeding pens for hatching in February, cleaning everything up and getting the birds ready.

Back
Top Bottom