A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I have a "turkey talk" question. Do turkey hens (or toms) tidbit for the poults to show them what to eat? My poults run to the edge of the cage when my broody hen tidbits for her chicks. not sure if the poults understand "tidbitting" or if they are imitating the chicks outside.

We've been having trouble with our internet at home lately :/ It's so bad right now the Alexas won't work and I can barely get a post up (though my mobile data works from work lol). IF we have some internet again when I get home today, I'll try to post my bug eyed babies. I seriously can't wait to get our Starlink system...

I have a "turkey talk" question. Do turkey hens (or toms) tidbit for the poults to show them what to eat? My poults run to the edge of the cage when my broody hen tidbits for her chicks. not sure if the poults understand "tidbitting" or if they are imitating the chicks outside.
Most do. Not as agressive as a chicken.

alot of people seem to have trouble getting turkey poults to eat. maybe playing a recording of a turkey hen tidbitting could help ? I only have chicken hens so I don't know what a turkey hen sounds like.
All you need to do to get turkey poults to eat is give them feed.

They peck at everything.

I use to believe the old wives tale about how you need to put them with a chick to teach them.

But after raising hundreds of them I knew
They were all hogwash, poults are just fine by themselves

All you need to do to get turkey poults to eat is give them feed.

They peck at everything.

I use to believe the old wives tale about how you need to put them with a chick to teach them.

But after raising hundreds of them I knew
They were all hogwash, poults are just fine by themselves
I think with all baby chicks/poults/ducks
Sometimes people get bent out of shape the first day or so thinking they're not going to eat.
They are living on that yolk and don't need to eat just immediately.

I have no trouble getting poults to eat.
I know that. you are an expert. i just watched 2 poults literally starve to death bc they wouldn't eat. if it was just me with this problem, then I would say that i am stupid, but there are many posts where people say the same thing. what's going on?

i don't have that much experience, but one thing i noticed was that poults don't walk around pecking everything the way chicks do. they are fearful, not curious.

I know that. you are an expert. i just watched 2 poults literally starve to death bc they wouldn't eat. if it was just me with this problem, then I would say that i am stupid, but there are many posts where people say the same thing. what's going on?

i don't have that much experience, but one thing i noticed was that poults don't walk around pecking everything the way chicks do. they are fearful, not curious.
Poults naturally pick at things on the ground. It is their nature. Use some kind of bedding that will allow the feed to be distinguishable from the bedding. Wood chips are a no no.

I use sand because it is free here. I sprinkle feed on the the sand and the poults start pecking at it very quickly. It may take them several days to figure out that the stuff in the feeder is also food but they always figure it out.

The fewer poults that you start with, the harder it can be to get them to eat.

Back
Top Bottom