A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

maybe. But at least I eat well... I have a very big freezer and I don't buy meat at the store. My parents have cattle and we all share 2 cows a year between us, and, surprisingly, the market for live birds tends to be higher value than the dead ones. This year I have been asking 60 each for 6 month old replacements. For a very good bird I might be able to haggle for more. Free ranging helps with the groceries, they do graze a lot when allowed to, but do I make clear profit?

Probably ..not...
I have troubles getting 35 for a jenny, I tell people 75 for a jake because I want them for the freezer. So far no one that asked has bought a jake.

I charge $10 for a newly hatched poult, and increase the price by $1/week. I don’t usually have trouble selling them for that price. They often sit on CL for months before I get a buyer, but I get more money then. I always think I will cap it at $50 for a full grown bird, but I don’t seem to ever have any left by 40 weeks old. (Except ones I was keeping for myself and then change my mind about.)

I don’t think that I am spending $1/week per bird on feed, but I don’t know. Plus there’s time and effort involved. And I have been known to give people a bulk discount, so technically, I don’t get $1/week for those birds.

I charge $10 for a newly hatched poult, and increase the price by $1/week. I don’t usually have trouble selling them for that price. They often sit on CL for months before I get a buyer, but I get more money then. I always think I will cap it at $50 for a full grown bird, but I don’t seem to ever have any left by 40 weeks old. (Except ones I was keeping for myself and then change my mind about.)

I don’t think that I am spending $1/week per bird on feed, but I don’t know. Plus there’s time and effort involved. And I have been known to give people a bulk discount, so technically, I don’t get $1/week for those birds.
I have been starting at $12 for day old poults. As soon as people realize that I keep raising prices and not lowering them, the interest picks up pretty fast. They are so accustomed to retail stores lowering prices as chicks get older that they expect the same from others.

I have been starting at $12 for day old poults. As soon as people realize that I keep raising prices and not lowering them, the interest picks up pretty fast. They are so accustomed to retail stores lowering prices as chicks get older that they expect the same from others.
I have been selling 2 poults for 25. Most people looking say they are too far away. Around me not many can have turkeys because they need 10 acres zone ag to legally have turkey or roosters unless they are in 4H. The rules are only inforced by complaints so ......

Back
Top Bottom