A chick we can't manage to cull? Happy news!!! Page 2

Quote:
No, no update posted. However, he is levering himself up onto both legs more easily now, to drink from the waterer. And when he starts off to "swim" across the length of the brooder, he usually gets up on both legs and pushes forward on them, then uses his wings and good leg to maneuver through the shavings. The "push off" maneuver is new, and gives me a lot of hope. All other bodily functions working just fine.

I added three new hatchlings to that brooder this evening. Two "designer" breeds with EE in 'em, one black and one buff, and a tiny, bantam cochin. Tiny Tim is not much larger than the EE chicks even though he's a week older. His wings are feathering nicely, though.

One of the TJs pullet chicks, all of 4 weeks old, is perfectly willing to let every single baby chick snuggle with her under the heat lamp. The others her age are really into perching and sleeping on the roost bar.

So glad to hear it!
clap.gif
I was thinking last night about how young (human) brains are very "elastic", able to compensate for deficits in one area but using another. Watching Rowdy learn to walk, eat and drink all over again has pretty much convinced me that their little brains are capable of the same miracle.

Scold, never!!! Tease, maybe, occasionally.
hu.gif

In this case, I don't think you did anything wrong. My broodies raise their chicks with the flock and I've never had an injury because of that. My rooster is protective and my hens are pretty laid back. My broodies whip butt when they need to, but that is very seldom. You had bad luck with that hen, so your strategy should probably be different than mine. I feel bad for the chick. It was not her fault. I feel bad for you. You did not do anything wrong and your life got a little harder.

Back
Top Bottom