A cool wild hog video in Texas

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by yardbird tx, Jun 23, 2011.

1. yardbird tx

yardbird tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I live in Austin Texas and this was shot just south east of town.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Thanks, that is amazing! I used to work on a 13,000 acre ranch in Anderson county and I have seen them in big herds like that. Them thars good eating! [​IMG]

3. cameron

cameron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Quote:That's no joke. I don't even buy storebought pork anymore. The wild stuff is so much better eating and a lotta fun to hunt. I love having them around. I'll take wild hog over deer any day.

4. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    wow [​IMG] I have never seen that many pigs at one time

piecemaker

5. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

That's crazy!

Is it legal to catch/shoot them for food? I'm guessing they are a bit of a nuisance out there?

6. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Quote:Rob, they are literaly free game, no season, no limits. As far as damage, very destructive. It was not unusual to wake up to find 2 or 3 acres of pasture rooted overnight. They were so plentiful I could ask my DH to "Go get us a hog" DH "How many and how big?" An hour or so later he was back with them. Kept the freezer full for 8 years. Deer also. I had sticker shock when I had to start buying meat again. I do have a small one as a scrap buddy. I don't think I could eat her.

7. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    You have a ton of them just south of you in the coastal foothills.
    Quote:

8. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    Yummy~~nothing better!!

9. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I gotta wonder... if they are good eating and "free" why aren't more people going after them for a ton of free meat? Too much work?

How many lbs of good meat comes off of an average size hog?

10. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    We do!!!! Everyone around here eats em, shoots em, gives them away, catches em, cages em, and many many just kill em and leave em which is sad. If you take them to a processor (a good one) he can do it where there isn't much of a gamey taste to them. You don't usually get bacon off of them but most of the normal cuts you can get. BUT honestly after you eat it and eat it and eat it and eat it and have eaten pork every possible way there is to eat it you need a break!!!! I wish people would allow urban friends to come and help get rid of them and let the urban folks have some freezer food too!!! We get them from the neighbor's property which we have permission to hunt (our place is only little over 5 acres). [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by