A coon killed 2 of my chickens early this morning.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Debi214, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    My BF had this weird feeling that he needed to check on the chickens at 6 this morning and when he got to the pen he heard something running thru the brush. He came back in the house and woke me to tell me both hens were missing with just some feathers, blood and a shell-less egg by the door that it/they somehow managed to get open [​IMG]. I searched everywhere for my girls but only found one about 20 feet away in some thick brush. I can't find the other anywhere but then again the brush is loaded with poison ivy. Her head is missing and the chest torn open [​IMG]. I am pretty sure it was a coon and I am still hoping that the other hen made it out the door and is hiding [​IMG].

2. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    Do you have a gun?? I'd shoot it (i'd try) lol

3. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    I'm so sorry this happened to you. I hate coons! I had a cat that got his eye scratched out by one when I was younger. My cat was blind in that eye the rest of his life. His eyeball was literally hanging out. Those critters have some huge claws!

4. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    [​IMG] Awww, I am sorry for your loss.

5. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Debi214, I really feel sad when I read posts like this. I'm sure that you thought a lot of those two hens, and, like you, I hope that the other hen escaped and will show up later. I have four Orpingtons and two silkies, and I worry about all the predators that could kill them while they're free ranging daily, but it boils down to their being in the run all day and my not worrying or their living free and my worrying.
    Please let us know if the other hen lived.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  7. Debi214

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    Quote:All I could find for a weapon this morning was an old iron pipe and I would have beat it to smithereens if I had found it's hiding place.

8. Debi214

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    Quote:They would make quite a ruckus if I didn't let them out to free-range every time they saw me. I have never had any problems except with hawks and I kept those hens in the same enclosure for over a year. [​IMG]

9. Debi214

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    I have looked everywhere and can't find the missing hen - will a coon eat a whole bird?

10. jobmcd

jobmcd Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I'm sorry to hear of your girls! I, like your bf felt a reason to check on the chickens, I lost one of my pullets the other day to a hawk, had I been out there just 39 sec. sooner it would've never happened. This was literally right outside my front door under a huge blooming cherry tree, never thought this would happen.

Hope you find your other hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by