A couple of Pekin mating questions

coloradochick

Songster
12 Years
Dec 19, 2007
Brighton, CO
As I'm sitting here scanning BYC, I look out at the kiddie pool and Lowrider(male) has Carter(female) in the pool mating her. Her head keeps going under the water.
barnie.gif
Should I be worried about her drowning or will she be okay? They always get her in the pool or as she's getting a drink and then her neck is smashed against the edge. Why don't they try when they're out in the yard?
And..do ducks go broody easier than chickens or are they the same?

That's typically how they mate. It's very ritualistic and there is little or no chance of the female being drowned. It's pretty shocking at first if you've never seen it before.

Also, ducks/geese only lay seasonally (in winter) unless you have a high laying breed. But, winter triggers the mating and egg laying and for most breeds it stops in early summer. All your duck's plumage now will be going from the nuptial plumage to eclipse, showing that mating season is over. Of course, Pekins are white so you won't notice this nuance!

Thanks Greyfields, she's been laying an egg everyday since I got her about 4 weeks ago. She was a year old this Easter and the boys were born around this Easter so they are much younger and clumsier. I'm just thrilled it's not as agressive as the chickens
roll.png

My Pekin, Mallard, and Runner mate in the water, out of the water, anywhere they can catch each other! The water is the norm and there is little to no chance of them drowning, survival is a strong instinct and that hen wants up the drake stands no chance.
Mine also lay constantly, White the Pekin hen is sitting a clutch of 17 eggs right now and Hershey the Runner who has more sense is sitting 8 eggs. I've also caught a couple of hens helping Whitey sit though, so I'm wondering about a few of those eggs in that nest......

ep.gif
How fun will that be when they hatch?
love.gif
Did she just lay one and start sitting or did you leave them in there and hope she started? I collect the egg every morning, should I leave it there or no?

Don't worry she won't drowned. All 10 of my ducks cram into the kiddy pool at once. I'm not sure the boys even hit the water.
tongue.png
If you want babies leave the eggs in the nest. She won't set until she has about 8.
I'm actually having a setting problem right now. Its about 90-95 degrees out everyday and my ducks won't quit setting. They hatch out babies and as soon as the ducklings are a month old they set again! Pekins are good mothers.
big_smile.png

Wow, so just leave them in there, won't the first few that are laid get to cold when she runs out to the pool with the boys during the day until she gets the number she wants to set on?

Last edited:
surprisingly No. My best mother duck sat on 14 and 10 hatched. She was very protective of her nest and layed 1 a day. I think its a bird thing.
big_smile.png

Quote:
You must be talking about domestic waterfowl. Wild watefowl lay, incubate, hatch, and raise their young when it is warmer. In the northern hemisphere they go south for the winter and north for the summer.

Back
Top Bottom