A couple of Q's about a new Momma hen and chicks

CrazyCrttr75

Free Ranging
Apr 21, 2018
Robertson County, TN
My hen Daisy went broody again this year and instead of breaking her like I did last year, I let her hatch a couple of babies. I have them in a separate coop with enclosed run but it is still within the fenced in area I have for my chickens. So now they are 5 days old and she has been teaching them all of the things and being a really good momma. I can tell she is starting to get antsy being cooped up with the wee ones. The rest of the flock has kind of seen the little ones when they are in their run area for the last couple of days but haven't paid them too much attention. Question 1- How long should I wait until giving them more freedom to roam around? I've had chickens for a couple years now and I have added new chicks a couple of times before but this is my first time having a broody hatch chicks so this dynamic is new to me. My flock consists of 2 bantam males and 14 females. Of those females, 1 is Daisy and 2 others are broody themselves (I just don't want, nor need, any more babies). Question 2-How will the other broodies interact with the new chicks and should I be worried about that? My concern is that while she seems to be quite protective of her babies (with us anyway), she is quite outnumbered in regards to being with the others. I may be overthinking this as I have said this is a new dynamic for me. Thanks for any input!

Given how you set it up, I would expect them to be fine if you let them out now. Daisy will look after them, and the others won't gang up on her or the chicks. The other broodies may take an interest but won't hurt the youngsters, in my experience.

thats whats broodies are for after hatching to protect the babies I hope she is high on the pecking order though then they wont bother them at all

My hen Daisy went broody again this year and instead of breaking her like I did last year, I let her hatch a couple of babies. I have them in a separate coop with enclosed run but it is still within the fenced in area I have for my chickens. So now they are 5 days old and she has been teaching them all of the things and being a really good momma. I can tell she is starting to get antsy being cooped up with the wee ones. The rest of the flock has kind of seen the little ones when they are in their run area for the last couple of days but haven't paid them too much attention. Question 1- How long should I wait until giving them more freedom to roam around? I've had chickens for a couple years now and I have added new chicks a couple of times before but this is my first time having a broody hatch chicks so this dynamic is new to me. My flock consists of 2 bantam males and 14 females. Of those females, 1 is Daisy and 2 others are broody themselves (I just don't want, nor need, any more babies). Question 2-How will the other broodies interact with the new chicks and should I be worried about that? My concern is that while she seems to be quite protective of her babies (with us anyway), she is quite outnumbered in regards to being with the others. I may be overthinking this as I have said this is a new dynamic for me. Thanks for any input!
Mine always do great back with their flock. There just needs to be enough room for everyone to get away from each other when necessary. The mama hens demand respect and get it!

Back
Top Bottom