A greenhouse for a chicken coop?

BJ

Songster
12 Years
Mar 20, 2007
Just wondering if anyone has ever used a small greenhouse for keeping chickens. I need a warm shelter for our small bantam flock and I was considering a greenhouse so I won't have to run heat lamps 24/7. Any thoughts? Pictures?

Well.. really, your bantams don't need extra heat after they have become fully feathered. They can keep warm easily. My two silkies slept outside all last winter. The coldest nights were in the teens. Just had to make sure their feed didn't run out. With a green house, I would be afraid of high moisture thus growing bacteria and other pathogens year round...I'm sure it can be done though if you want to try it. If you only have a small flock, a large doghouse would even work for their night coop, just gotta put it in a run so nothing will eat them.

I have heard of greenhouses being an excellent place for winterizing chickens. I would research the idea more, personally. And BTW, I would NEVER leave my chickens without a heat source in wintertime. Regardless of feathering, they can freeze to death.

BJ,
I am not sure what type of greenhouse you are referring to, but if it has a lot of glass, you need to think about how it will heat up in the summer. Too much heat for chickens is worse than being too cold.

I have seen a few greenhouses that were adapted and changed some to house chickens, and they worked out great.

Quote:
How cold does it get where you are? Mine go without extra heat all year long, but winters only go into about the teens. They all sleep outside too
roll.png

I live in Indiana. Winters here are completely unpredictable. Last winter was brutally cold and very damp. I lost 6 chickens despite running heat lamps constantly. It was heartbreaking. My boys became interested in showing them in 4H, and guess who fell in love with them!?!! I have Sebrights and D'Uccles. If we had done proper research, we would have gotten a heartier breed, but for some reason my boys were infatuated with the Sebrights. The D'Uccle was thrown in as the extra, and then we acquired a few more after falling in love with their sweet temperment. As for the greenhouse, I am only wanting it for winter...not summer. I am so afraid of the coming winter and having to deal with the cold again. I've got to make something work for the few birds I have left without spending a fortune. I really appreciate the advice.

Ah, well that makes sence. Being surrounded by water.. weather is pretty calm. Using a green house in winter would work to help keep them warm. And if it is for winter only, you can grow killer plants in the spring and summer when it warms up! That would be a good chicken/garden combo!

Back
Top Bottom