A Hawk Came Into the Yard....

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
A hawk came into the yard...
Sounds like a setup for a joke with a lame punchline. But it isn't.
A hawk came into the yard and attacked my chickens. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it, but I came onto the scene too late.

It got my Polish pretty good, she was bleeding and scared and hiding. She has recovered, but the hawk killed my rooster Adam while he was defending the flock.

It's heartbreaking. He can't be replaced. His little brother Pumpkin is trying to step up, but it's been hard on all of us.

Adam was such a big boy. When I dug a hole for his final resting place, the hole was deep... but I underestimated how truly large he was. So when I placed him there, I had to pull him back out and dig some more. I can not stress how big my boy was.
Pulling him out was hard. I remember feeling the weight of his head in my palm, and it just... hurt. It was heartbreaking. I loved my big boy so much. I love all my chickens but he was always a bright beacon on a cloudy day.

When he crowed, it sounded so loud and clear, and I used to laugh because it sounded like he was yelling "All the potatooooooees!"

He followed me all over and he always helped put the other chickens back safely for the night. Some of my chickens like to go to the woods, and he always made trips back and forth, bringing them in for food and safety. He was so big and smart and fun and beautiful. Prettiest boy I've ever had.

I could get another, raise it up- but it would never be the same. I won't replace Adam. It's too hard.

I will always remember him in the best of light. Even when he was standoffish and hormonal. He was always a good boy.

I'll always treasure him. May he enjoy that big open yard in the sky, with plenty of fertile hens and an endless supply of feed and fruit.

To anyone and everyone reading this, keep an owl decoy around. I'm told it's supposed to ward off hawks.

And now, some pictures are my ol' boy.

20200110_232540.gif
20191223_145344.jpg

20191220_133516.jpg

20191006_132501.jpg
20191021_173939.jpg

Last edited:
R.I.P., Adam. You were a handsome fellow, and you made the ultimate sacrifice - the best example of a courageous rooster.

@WallyBirdie, my condolences on your loss. May Pumpkin turn out to be as good a roo as Adam. :hugs

We have lots of hawk pressure here, and owl decoys and hanging flashing objects like CDs and reflective tape haven't deterred those raptors. Aviary netting does, though.

A hawk came into the yard...
Sounds like a setup for a joke with a lame punchline. But it isn't.
A hawk came into the yard and attacked my chickens. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it, but I came onto the scene too late.

It got my Polish pretty good, she was bleeding and scared and hiding. She has recovered, but the hawk killed my rooster Adam while he was defending the flock.

It's heartbreaking. He can't be replaced. His little brother Pumpkin is trying to step up, but it's been hard on all of us.

Adam was such a big boy. When I dug a hole for his final resting place, the hole was deep... but I underestimated how truly large he was. So when I placed him there, I had to pull him back out and dig some more. I can not stress how big my boy was.
Pulling him out was hard. I remember feeling the weight of his head in my palm, and it just... hurt. It was heartbreaking. I loved my big boy so much. I love all my chickens but he was always a bright beacon on a cloudy day.

When he crowed, it sounded so loud and clear, and I used to laugh because it sounded like he was yelling "All the potatooooooees!"

He followed me all over and he always helped put the other chickens back safely for the night. Some of my chickens like to go to the woods, and he always made trips back and forth, bringing them in for food and safety. He was so big and smart and fun and beautiful. Prettiest boy I've ever had.

I could get another, raise it up- but it would never be the same. I won't replace Adam. It's too hard.

I will always remember him in the best of light. Even when he was standoffish and hormonal. He was always a good boy.

I'll always treasure him. May he enjoy that big open yard in the sky, with plenty of fertile hens and an endless supply of feed and fruit.

To anyone and everyone reading this, keep an owl decoy around. I'm told it's supposed to ward off hawks.

And now, some pictures are my ol' boy.

View attachment 2003780View attachment 2003786
View attachment 2003790
View attachment 2003793View attachment 2003794
What a beautiful, proud boy!! It sounds like he was a gentleman through and through. What a blessing to have known such an amazing boy. Pumpkin has his brother's genes and has had his brother's example....I'm sure he will do his best. I am so sorry to hear of your loss.:hugs

Back
Top Bottom