A hawk nearly got one of my bantams. May I ask a few questions?

Finally a topic i actually know about!!! I am hawk biologist by day and unfortunately your cooper’s hawks are most likely there to stay at this time of year. Especially if it is an adult, that implies your are in its breeding territory. It will not be able to carry off a big fowl, perhaps a bantam but they are used taking down things about the size of a pigeon.

Question, was that picture in the thread the hawk bothering you? Thats actually a red-shouldered hawk which probably could take your bird off, however those beauties usually eat small rodents and not birds like Cooper’s hawk.

Also, some hawks do form large groups/flocks called kettles. Here in the central valley of cali we get kettles of swainsons hawks. They also occurr out in the midwest except in even bigger numbers!! Broad winged hawks form up in kettles as well, especially during migration in the fall.

One last note, careful with that netting it is illegal to kill hawks. A number of years back US fish and wildlife busted a group of tumbler pigeon fanciers who were systematically taking out hawks and falcons (endangered and threatened species in particular). Sorry to end on a downer. Good luck with your COHA!!!

Finally a topic i actually know about!!! I am hawk biologist by day and unfortunately your cooper’s hawks are most likely there to stay at this time of year. Especially if it is an adult, that implies your are in its breeding territory. It will not be able to carry off a big fowl, perhaps a bantam but they are used taking down things about the size of a pigeon.

Question, was that picture in the thread the hawk bothering you? Thats actually a red-shouldered hawk which probably could take your bird off, however those beauties usually eat small rodents and not birds like Cooper’s hawk.

Also, some hawks do form large groups/flocks called kettles. Here in the central valley of cali we get kettles of swainsons hawks. They also occurr out in the midwest except in even bigger numbers!! Broad winged hawks form up in kettles as well, especially during migration in the fall.

One last note, careful with that netting it is illegal to kill hawks. A number of years back US fish and wildlife busted a group of tumbler pigeon fanciers who were systematically taking out hawks and falcons (endangered and threatened species in particular). Sorry to end on a downer. Good luck with your COHA!!!

Hey a hawk guy great!

Im going to take some photos maybe you can help identify what we are dealing with! I believe bc of large wingspan they are red shouldered. Now i am on a mission to get some video.

You could try to put a fake owl out and put a roof on the run you could put iodine on it . It would be best to keep her in a wire dog crate inside the house or in a garage away from flys and gnats if you keep her outside than she might get fly shrike also watch for signs of infection keep her away from other birds
Good tips :)
At least from my experience, I got a fake owl that even makes owl noises and spins its head and the hawks did not go away. This probably works for other people. I guess not me :idunno

They are hawks they come down and at the same time all the birds at the bird feeder take off in every direction.
Now would be a good time to stop feeding the wild birds ;)

I got a fake owl that even makes owl noises and spins its head and the hawks did not go away.
Yeah...
full

I think what you are seeing are vultures. We have them here. They are quite high in the sky and circle around. Hopefully you can get a picture of one.

I have heavy duty netting covering my pens which are 60' x 200'. It has been up for many years and still good. I haven't had any birds get caught in it yet.

Some large bird of prey actually got my SS hen, Dottie, on Tuesday morning. I had the flockers out in the yard with me and she wandered about ten feet into the trees. Next thing I know all Hell’s breaking loose and I can’t find anything more than her tail and a bunch of feathers trailing off into the woods. She came back about a half hour later without a single feather on her chest and belly and eyes dialated bigger than a full moon. She’s recovering slowly, but at least she’s recovering. I think she has a concussion and was partially blind in one or both eyes for about forty hours after. She’s much improved today.

Anyhow, that just convinced hubby and I that we need to build a chicken tunnel that goes out to a secure area in the shade, just inside the tree line. I have a 8’ x 24’ mostly covered run (built like Fort Knox), but I want them to have a separate area where they like to scratch around in the woods that’s safe. Here’s kind of what I’m thinking of building. It’ll lead out to an extension of the run - enclosed with at least 2” x 4” fencing.

882235E9-9B06-4F50-8F14-45C8EAF88AE8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom