A hen named Kevin? Rooster or Hen? Help

Browner71

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 10, 2011
Sonoma, CA
Trying to get this right.....

I posted last night, but now have more pics so I'll re-try. 2 chicks, almost 8 weeks old, hatched the same day. Kids named them "Poachie" ( the little one) and "Kevin" (the bigger one). Seriously? Yes, the kids named one Kevin, hoping it was a hen! Anyway, one was considerably bigger from day one, and is now twice the size. They look different as well. The guy where we got them was suspecting Black Japanese, and we don't know the difference. Any help would be great on determining the breed and sex of bot the big one and the little one. Thanks in advance. The only thing I know for certain is that they are not pheasant, but my yellow lab won't believe me.

For some reason, I can't post pics that can be opened and viewed larger. For now, the link below will open my gallery, I'll figure the right way to do this ASAP

Thanks

http://gallery.me.com/brown_family#100046&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Last edited:
Kevin is the name of the "Snipe" in the Pixar movie "Up". That Kevin is a female and they don't rename her when they find out.
I'm surprised more chickens aren't called Kevin
smile.png

I knew it was from the movie, and it's one of the few I haven't seen. Makes more sense now. Any guesses on my "kevin" or the little one? Thanks

Last edited:
That's so cute! My boys want to name one of ours,"one of the goofy looking ones", Kevin. They however, are naming it after a dopey looking penguin on the cartoon, 3-2-1 Penguins. I should have mostly pullets. 4 of the 27 are straight run, but they are all only a week old and I have no idea what gender they are. They don't care if its a hen or roo, one of 'em will probably end up a Kevin!
lol.png

Even after clicking on them, I can't get the pictures big enough to tell much of anything other than the fact that the one with a crest is not a Japanese. It could be a Crevecoeur or a Polish cross. Can you post the pics so they'll be bigger?

Back
Top Bottom