A hundred bucks a meal? Are you guys pulling my leg? With poll

How many of you spend a hundred dollars on a meal for a couple?

• I do weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do monthly

• I do yearly

• I have, but only a few times

• I never have but would like to

• No! Are you outta your everlovin' mind?!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

mississippifarmboy

collects slightly damaged strays
12 Years
Oct 22, 2008
Glen, Mississippi. 40+ chicken years
I was just reading another thread on here and noticed repeated mentions of couples going out to a nice restaurant and paying a hundred dollars or more for a single meal.

Really?
idunno.gif

I'm just curious how many really do this. I mean, I realize we are poor, simple country folks but $100.00! For one meal? For two people? jeez
We don't spend over $200.00 a month on groceries (Usually around $150.00 to $200.00) and are raising two kids plus we feed any of the neighborhood younguns that happen to be at the house at meal time. My wife also takes a plate of food to our 86 year old neighbor every evening as he lives alone, we've done this for several years now. We've never missed a meal and to be honest, all of us could afford to lose a few pounds. We aren't starving by any long stretch..

We might stop at McDonalds once every couple of months if we are traveling or something, for my wife and I and the two kids it's around $20.00. About once every 4 months or so we'll go out to a sit down restaurant (Like a Chinese place, Mexican food, or a buffet type place) for a cost of around $40.00 for us all. About every two weeks we have a pizza and movie night, two pizzas and a two litter soda around $15.00.

And for those of you who do spend that much on one meal for two people.... What kinda food do you get for that price, how big of a plate and is it good?
hmm.png

I'm not trying to be funny either, I'm genuinely curious.
Stuff like this facinates me.

Obviously, it is area related I would assume. There is a restaurant locally called the Magic Lamp. If I order escargot, a glass of wine and a steak and Ken orders an appetizer, a glass of wine and a steak it will easily be over $100. Appetizer $8, wine $10, steak dinner $45, total of $126 before tax.

There are a few places like that here locally, or within an hour drive, but they are all over the place is LA.

Heck no!
To begin with, there aren't any fancy places here where we live. I can feed us for MUCH cheaper than that here at home.
I'm also kinda weird about other people preparing/touching my food.
hide.gif

For that kind of money, we could eat at home and go somewhere else to spend it(like the Flea Market or Trade Days).
smile.png

We just went on vacation and went out to dinner with a couple and their 2 small children. The total for all of us, 5 adults, teenage son, 2 children under 10, was nearly $400.00. Butttt, we ate at a very nice sushi place, the other couple had a couple of beers and we had tons of food. We split the bill in half so it was around $200 for each couple. We eat with this same couple every year so its a real treat for all of us. But still DH and I will spend close to $80.00 if we go to a steak house and both order steak. We dont eat like that often though.

Edited to add, we had 3 adults (me, DD and DH) and teenage son

Last edited:
Quote:
I do it!

I treat my wife to a nice supper at a local restaurant. This restaurant is NOT a chain and the food is well worth the price. The head chef is a High School classmate of mine so we get an insiders guide to what is good.

Our meal starts with Oysters on the half-shell, either a 12 or 18, along with cocktails. We then move to a light appetizer if we are in the mood. our wine is determined by the entree's we select, usually I order the special or ask for something off the menu. We end the evening with a dessert.

Our bill usually looks like this:

Oysters $25
Cocktails $30
Appetizers $15
Entrees $60
Dessert $12
Wine $60

Add a tip and we are well over $200 for the evening.

I know that is a lot of money, but my wife is worth it.

Jim

Last edited:
Highest was $84 for 2 adults an 2 kids at olive garden...That was clams an her punting away a few Venusian sunsets.

Still thing at that price the waitress should hold me an hand feed me.

Last edited:
Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
I do it!

I treat my wife to a nice supper at a local restaurant. This restaurant is NOT a chain and the food is well worth the price. The head chef is a High School classmate of mine so we get an insiders guide to what is good.

Our meal starts with Oysters on the half-shell, either a 12 or 18, along with cocktails. We then move to a light appetizer if we are in the mood. our wine is determined by the entree's we select, usually I order the special or ask for something off the menu. We end the evening with a dessert.

Our bill usually looks like this:

Oysters $25
Cocktails $30
Appetizers $15
Entrees $60
Dessert $12
Wine $60

Add a tip and we are well over $200 for the evening.

I know that is a lot of money, but my wife is worth it.

Jim

Ok, I can understand that. My wife is worth it too. But I think I'd rather eat her cooking than anything I've ever ate in a restaurant.
But still.... just WOW!

hu.gif

We have a local restaurant here we go to for our anniversary every year and it's generally close to $100. But, not only do we eat to our fill for that meal, we also have enough to take home for another meal the next day. Some people save up for radios, car parts, video games, a certain outfit, jewelry.. we go out for our anniversary
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom