1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A lot of folks dont think chickens have emotions...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thndrdancr, Sep 23, 2007.

1. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    elderoo, I think your still comparing the intensity and level to humans. Certainly not the same between any animal and a human but that's not to say they have NONE at all. I've met humans with little or no emotions! They are usually in prison or ostrisized from society, but they exist. BTW, Didn't you ever watch Lassie, [​IMG] ?? I've had dogs with more emotion than SOME people, ha ha!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  2. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    I give up, your right, emotions are something that only humans can feel in their "heart and soul" and the world was created 6000 years ago as a roundish flat disk. [​IMG]

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I think your still comparing the intensity and level to humans. Certainly not the same between any animal and a human but that's not to say they have NONE at all.

Youre probably right. I refrain from comparing them AT ALL, as a rule.

What I see they have is awareness. From that much stems, but it doesn't necessarily follow that they have emotion in ways we can comprehend.

But if I get you right, you are saying that you can have 'degrees of emotion' as a chicken. Say, for example, they could be only a little melancholy, or only a little joyous? It seems a little vague, but I guess that beats nuttin...

Okay, you won me over - they have something, whatever it may be.​

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2007
  4. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Keep up the post, you finally got David on the ropes. A couple more convincing post and he will be out at the coop holding his BABIES, looking into there eyes and wondering what they are feeling. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Okay maybe not

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I might even put them in diapers and let them come in to watch an episode or two of CSI with me. Or maybe, just maybe, we can weep together while watching 'Jerry McGuire'. At least I know they'll like my movie popcorn...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2007
  6. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:Thats what I thought easy on the salt and no cafienated beverages for the KIDS after 9, or you'll be up all night singing lullabys

7. imloulou

imloulou Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2007
    NW Florida Gulf Coast
    Quote:oh shut up...just shut up...you had me at cluck cluck........

8. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I dont think chickens fully weep, but they just get this shade of sadness in thier eyes, so you know they are feeling something. [​IMG]
    Also glad to see you didn't pick a scarey movie had for the babies to have little bad chickie nightmares. [​IMG]

9. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    Aggg, I'm trying to squish your avitar!!

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Little chicky nightmares! HA! I love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by