A mallard-derived sister for Daphne?

Pics

Daphne_loves_mealworms

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 13, 2018
Vermont
So, I know that I’ve been trying to keep the flock small as I would like to minimize the mess (particularly over winter when cleaning provides more challenges) and want to avoid overcrowding, but I can’t stop thinking that Daphne would like a friend who isn’t Muscovy. She is sometimes left out when the Goons go off together to do stuff or when they perch on the door of the stall while Daphne is floor-bound. She needs someone to cuddle with during the long winter nights!

Space-wise, they have a 12’ x 12’ stall that they sleep in and a much bigger run for the day with some supervised free-ranging. In the winter, they will have to spend more time in the barn. There is plenty of space for the 3 of them, but would they be overcrowded if I added 1 more?

If I do get Daphne a non-Muscovy buddy, should I get another Rouen, or is anything mallard-derived ok?

If I do add someone, it would be another adult.

Edited to add - Now that I’m reasonably certain that both ‘Scovy children are ducks, I could potentially get Daphne a husband. What do you think?

Mules keep the flock ratio down. :p
Just know that muscovy are a pretty broody bunch and love to sit on a nest of eggs. A drake would most likely breed them all as that is what drakes do.
I am wanting to get another duck because my trio of muscovy hens always leaves the one out. I kind of want to try a different breed of duck. However, that would probably still leave Blossom to be the odd duck out. Most likely, I will add another muscovy hen unless I expand their run and housing.
If it were me and I were to do it all over again, I would not have the drake.
1 - I'm not really interested in breeding.
2 - Drakes add all sorts of worries to what could be a content flock of hens.
3 - My hens are pretty sweet and my drake is slightly ornery so much so I have contemplated inviting him to Christmas dinner. But, he has his good days so his invitation is on hold. But, he does have a lot of character - I will give him that.
I am suggesting adding another mallard derived duck to your flock and forgo the drake. I don't think it has to be another rouen - just one that quacks. :D

Just know that muscovy are a pretty broody bunch and love to sit on a nest of eggs. A drake would most likely breed them all as that is what drakes do.
I am wanting to get another duck because my trio of muscovy hens always leaves the one out. I kind of want to try a different breed of duck. However, that would probably still leave Blossom to be the odd duck out. Most likely, I will add another muscovy hen unless I expand their run and housing.
3 - My hens are pretty sweet and my drake is slightly ornery so much so I have contemplated inviting him to Christmas dinner. But, he has his good days so his invitation is on hold. But, he does have a lot of character - I will give him that.
I am suggesting adding another mallard derived duck to your flock and forgo the drake. I don't think it has to be another rouen - just one that quacks. :D

Thank you for your advice! Hen it is. I’ve just got to find the right one :)

You sure have a lot of experience with Ducks and yours are only 6 months old...:frow..

I"m so glad to hear Daphne is getting a friend! I was just looking at one of your pics the other day thinking she has no one to 'talk' to LOL! Can't wait to see the pics!!! :pop Regarding your space, it's perfectly adequate for 4 ducks. I have an 8'x8' pen that my 4 stay in during the day and get supervised yard/pond time. They are perfectly happy and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom