A Management Challenge to Reduce Rooster Aggression Directed at Keeper

I could never figure out what happened to my rooster. He was very tame and as he matured simply turned one day and attacked. My instincts were to kick him across the yard and he came back at me. I reacted (over-reacted?) and grabbed him by the neck. It was downhill from there. I have never been afraid of chickens...still am not. So the problem was in my initial reaction? I think it was as now I know to swoop them up and tuck their head down.

pop.gif

At work we have small demonstration flock consisting five dual purpose laying pullets coming into lay and a Barred Plymouth Rock cockerel in addition to a pair of American Games I provided. All are about 5 months old. Barred Plymouth Rock cockerel has taken to attacking one of his keepers but ignores everyone else. For last two days he has flogged and chased her. Tomorrow I will try to film the debacle and try to get those parties to break cockerel of attacking without employing violence or restraint against him. I will also be chewing some butt when comes to how birds have been interacted with. Kids have been instructed to chase birds and keeper being attacked has alternated between kicking cockerel and running from him. Another party has been directing the kicking at the bird which works for him because he is also confident in his mannerism while doing so. I also intend for them to re-tame birds I provided as they now avoid human interaction which decidedly different from all of my birds kept back. This is all a husbandry / management problem.

There will be no grabbing if my approach followed although if grabbing done properly I see how it can work. Emphasis here will be on changing students behavior in not responding to aggression and wearing bird out. She will get flogged more in the process but she will also gain confidence and not have such relationships go bad in the future. The chasing bit is going to be a bigger problem with kids. Heat and psychological stress alone should have been enough reason not to do such.
O.M.G.......
lau.gif

Might want to be careful , if said rooster harms said student and said student is underage you could be in for one heck of a lawsuit
pop.gif

Personally, I think the poster is trying to share useful information. You may use it or not, as you like. I am interested in hearing what she has to say and I found her thread on a broody rooster most informative. Centracid, I don't agree with everything you say, but about 95% of it has worked for me! Please continue to post your informative sniglets of information!

This effort is slow in producing fruit. Student (college level > 21 years old) covered by insurance and employee of university. She is now aware of my intent and has been instructed by another party to do as she does. Once other effort she is employing now it the "catch and carry about" strategy but no results of sort desired yet. Hopefully filming of aggression can be done Monday; aggression by both parties. Today I participated in a field day with student and one of my birds she could see and it is clear that even with a non threatening bird she exhibits behavior I interpret as fear. Also spoke face to face with parties advocating kicking birds and would not trust any roosters around kids. Fear and aggression noted in those parties towards roosters in general. This is more common than I thought.

Two days ago I finally got to witness first hand the interaction between the now students and problematic rooster. They had related to me numerous times how the rooster attacked the primary student targeted without provocation. Also during the interval the rooster had taken to attacking several other parties that frequent the little "barnyard" used by the flock. Students / personnel all related to me they have done and do nothng to promote the roosters attacks.

What I saw. All human parties make a big deal about the rooster and exhibit obvious apprehension about rooster. They say they are not scared of rooster but watch him closely when in his vicinity. Student originally sole target of attacks retreated from rooster when ever he approached. When instructed to stand her ground she sitll effectively flinched whenever rooster moved even though he was several feet away. When he launched an attack she followed the directions of another party and tried to protect herself with the combination of a raised foot and a stick which resulted an escalation in the roosters attack. I instructed to to slowly retreat towards me and then past resulting rooster breaking off attack. She and others were directed to sit on equipment as I walked past rooster. Rooster flogged me once as I past but I did not respond even the slightest. I walked past three more not even looking at him and each time his reaction to me decreased. Then I started walking with and within his harem to provide him more opportunity to attack if he desired which he did not. Vocalizations and posture initially indicated aggression but over the course of less than a minute those transitioned to contact calls with hens.

Rooster was responding to parties he had attacked and pressed issue when he could get his way. He figured out very quickly I was not vulnerable and settled done quickly. Parties previously attacked saw what I do and also watched each other to see how they stimulated attacks. Now everyone will start learning how to behave accordingly around rooster so he does not attack. Cause I increasingly suspect is related to feeding regimen where primary target quickly fed rooster when he approached giving him control over her behavior. To correct long-term she will have to wear heavier clothing for a short time and practice more self control.

I think all animals sense and respond to fear with aggression, it can be hard for people to realize that and even harder to control their emotions around animals without experience.

I had a sweet dog, GSD, rarely showed even an inkling of aggression, until a new postal carrier showed up and he was terrified of her at first sight..she started barking and growling at him...it escalated with him until she was doing this to almost everyone, trying for that fear response from people...until she went after a passerby, who immediately stopped and told her to knock !t off with proper attitude and physical posturing. GSD backed right off and never did that to anyone again. It was hilarious and just what GSD needed, I thanked passerby for the needed lesson.

Good luck to you and your students!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom