A Normal Chick with One Closed Eye?

Duckstruck

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2016
East Tennessee
Hello! I'll just jump right into this...
On September 27, we got 3 new chicks from My Pet Chicken, one of those chicks being a Polish one. Fast forward now, I'm giving the little ones more freedoms as they get older. Everyday I go out there, I let the adolescent chicks get outside in my run with my other hens for about two hours. Unlike the other chicks, who have learned to go inside the coop so I can put them in the brooder, the Polish hen is lost and cries out. Every time. It was fine until today I decided to put her back inside, but first investigated her face under her big crest. Turns out one of her eyes is shut! I gently rolled my finger across the top of the closed lid to open it, and it opened with ease and revealed a normal eye. The closed eye had no lumps or discharge, just closed. Her other eye is open, and she still runs around and eats like a chick, but that closed eye is bothering me. Sometimes the older hens peck the chicks. Could it simply be that she's tired or possibly was pecked? How should I assess this? Should I trim her crest to look at the eye better?
Thanks!

I'm no expert, but IMO don't trim the crest. Check the eye daily, and make sure you don't see redness, exudate or anything abnormal. Maybe she just has a scratch and those will heal.

I agree. It sounds like a minor eye irritation. If you have human saline lubricating eye drops, give the eye a good irrigation with them a couple times a day. It will probably open after you do this. I would also gently dab a bit of antibiotic ointment or ophthalmic ointment onto the eye.

Back
Top Bottom