A once in a lifetime oppurtunity. Should I take it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ticks

Pheasant Obsessed
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
The Sticks, Vermont
My dad's friend called him and told my dad that he knows a man who has a falcon chick. He wanted to know if I wanted to raise it. I am not sure what to do. He says I do not need a permit but I don't think they let just any one raise falcons. What if he is trying to get rid of it to get another person in trouble. Like, if it was illegal to raise a falcon chick he would give it to some one else for someone else to get in trouble. What would falcon chicks eat? I have know idea where to start.
A little help.

well falcons are birds of prey. they eats small mammals, reptiles, fish and birds. Lots of falconerys(is that a word)/zoos feed them quail, day old frozen and thawed chicks(thats were some of the leftover roos go). I would say if it is a native species you need a permit, but you have to go to your local fish and wildlife wardens website. Better get this dude in trouble than you. Also you will need a big enough flight area. A falcon that was raised by humans may never learn to fend for himself or gets imprinted flies towards one and might end up on a windshield.

I agree w/ conny-----better call fish and wildlife athorities first and if they ask why your asking tell them someone is trying to give you one.

Be very careful ticks. You can get in a heap of trouble.
Falconry is also a major commitment.

"Because all raptors are protected by state, federal, and international law, all potential falconers must obtain necessary permits before obtaining a hawk or practicing falconry. This can take quite a while, since it includes taking a written falconry exam and getting the appropriate signatures. In some states, hunter education courses are required before you can get your hunting license. If you can't keep your paperwork straight, even in quintuplicate (five copies), don't consider falconry."
http://www.n-a-f-a.org/htm/aboutfal_main.htm

A co-worker is a Falconer - mucho grande trouble if no permit.......would not go there if I were you. Big time repercussions if you even let you permit slide, let alone.....

ETA you have to apprentice in to become one....

Last edited:
NO

I used to pet sit for a guy that had a whole collection of birds of prey, ranging from little bat falcon up to peregrine, african monkey eagle, american golden eagle, you name it. Those birds require a tremendous amount of knowlege and special training, and he had a climate controlled setup room with perch tables and all the birds were tethered except the outside ones, they were kept in dark rooms with folding doors that you opened quick, slid the water bowl in, tossed the food to the other side, and slam the door before they hit it. The same guy had a full grown caracal upstairs in a room, sugar gliders, hybrid wild cats, house cats, huge dogs, turtles, bengal cats, regular kitty cats, and a herd of horses. House sitting for them was a full time job, I finally had to tell them no more. Anyhow, the falcons, unless you have a falconry mentor near by and want to make a huge hobby switch, one in which you may end up breeding chickens just to feed to your new hobby instead of to enjoy, I'd say pass.

I second what everyone else said. Taking a falcon chick from a nest is highly illegal unless you are permitted, and even that restricts you to certain kinds of birds unless you are a master falconer. I believe this is a kestrel or a red-tailed hawk for apprentice falconers. Trading in these birds will get you into trouble. They require a great deal of fresh, whole food, not just meat parts. I did volunteer raptor rehab for awhile, and we always had illegal falconers birds to deal with. They can almost never be successfully released into the wild. Here is the link for the Vermont statues on falconry...looks like it red-tails and goshawks there.

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/fullsection.cfm?Title=10APPENDIX&Chapter=001&Section=00011

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom