A question for those who process their older birds...

Alfheim

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 25, 2013
Ethel, WA
We were gifted a large flock of older chickens as our first flock. They are not the breed we want, but they were free and we thought they would be a good "experiment" to make sure our space is safe and secure. They also offer instant gratification while our the breeds we want hatch. We also plan on perfecting (or at least practicing) our processing technique. I know people use the older birds for soup, but is the meat edible? Can you shred it into the soup once cooked? Or can you grind it raw for chicken burgers?
Thanks!

Older birds need long, slow cooking. If you can find an old cookbook that has reicpes for game, you can use old chickens in recipes that call for pheasants or other similar sized game birds. Of course, Coq au Vin is always a very pleasant way to enjoy a tough old bird, but make sure that you get a recipe that is made for using old birds, and not one that has been re-engineered for supermarket chickens and that you have the time because that is one time and labor intensive recipe!

Of course, you can just put the chicken in a big pot of water with an onion, a carrot or two and whatever seasonings you like and make a chicken stock that cannot be beat. If you want to use the meat in the soup, keep testing it and take it off the bones when it is as tender as you want it, then put the bones back in the stock to keep stewing. Cool the meat and put it in the frig until you are ready for it. You can also freeze the meat if you are not going to be using it immediately.

If you put the chicken in the crockpot with an onion, about 1/4 cup of water or stock and whatever seasonings you like and let it go until the meat starts falling off the bone, then you can use the meat for salads, burritos, casseroles, etc. Don't add a lot of water! It will just dilute the flavor and you will wind up with a chicken floating in a puddle of stock, which is okay if you want soup, but not as much if you want the meat.

I don't know about grinding the meat, but since you have plenty of chickens, give it a try. What's the worst that can happen? You spend some time and energy on a meal that is not to your taste. But if it works, let us know!

great post Elke.

Also be sure no matter what cooking method you go with that you let the bird rest for three days before cooking it (process and clean first, then let rest whole in the frig). This was the mistake I made with my first process and yikes! It was like chewing squid.

Thanks for the cooking advice Elke! I have some old cook books from the 40s I think that might have a good recipe or two. ;)
Also be sure no matter what cooking method you go with that you let the bird rest for three days before cooking it (process and clean first, then let rest whole in the frig). This was the mistake I made with my first process and yikes! It was like chewing squid.
This is my new mantra. I have read this several places and don't want to make that mistake!

I am pouring over a ton of vintage cook books from the 30's. 40's, 50's and 60's. I may have one even older that I need to dig up. I am planning on grinding up one of the two that we are most likely processing this weekend. I will let you know how the grinding works.

There are lots of ways to cook older birds. A pressure cooker is a great way and fast. We take leg quarters and cook them 15 minutes at 15 pounds pressure and the meat just falls off the bones. Use the meat for taco's, casseroles, etc plus all the stock makes good soup. The breast meat can be ground for chicken sausage, of cut into smaller pieces for stir fry. Also, you can cook the breast on the grill as long as you do it hot and fast, the same principle as stir fry. Just don't over cook it or it will dry out and be tough. Just a few minutes per side is all it takes to cook them through.

great post Elke.

WHY DI YOU HAVE TO LET IT REST FOR 3 DAYS IN THE FRIG? CAN YOU PROCESS THE CHICKEN, PUT IT IN THE FREEZER AND THAW IT OUT FOR 3 DAYS OR DO YOU HAVE TO LET THE CHICKEN REST IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOU POCESS IT?
hmm.png

Just ate a old Rooster. Very tasty, but hard to get off the bone, nice dark meat, mostly. Kind of chewey, and really tough skin. I did the long time low temp method. I think in the future birds over a year will see the pressure cooker.

Back
Top Bottom