A Rooster that doesnt crow

Delilahducks

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2021
Hi everyone, new member here!
So if this isn't the correct spot for posting, I apologize!

Yes the title is correct, I'm not looking for one - I have one. Two actually, brothers. I've been searching high and low on the internet and can simply find no answers.
These are without a doubt, males. King feathers, saddle feathers, big red combs/waddles, and huge thick legs. Theyre massive boys (Lavander Orpingtons), over a year old. They do NOT crow. I mean not at all. I thought at first maybe I was just missing them in the crowd, but I brought them inside for 24hrs and not a single crow. Theyre healthy, they "talk" quite a bit, and complain at me loudly when I pick them up. What on earth could be the reason for lack of crowing?
I'm not complaining, I've got 9 Roo's of various breeds lol, but I dont want these guys fathering chicks if there's something wrong with them (genetics etc). Any help or ideas (throw them at me, please!) Would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Some boys are just super slow to find their voice. Just as some are super quick (3 weeks old) to find it.

Can you post a pic of them for us?
Absolutely! I'll post a few shortly, hopefully with the hen I hatched out with them for size comparison. They hatched April of 2020, and she is laying, but the boys just don't crow 🤷‍♀️

Sorry about the wait! The first set of photos has Stellar with our LO hen, Alice to show size comparison.
The other two are of Gadget, his brother (he was being a sucky baby, and wanted my daughter to hold him) - he is larger than Stellar. Neither one crows, it could be dominance related? My Polish is the boss, and they respect him - but all the others seem to crow at some point. The two boys stayed in, til about an hour ago and not a crow around

Attachments

• PSX_20210817_152030.jpg
    PSX_20210817_152030.jpg
    857.8 KB · Views: 21
  • PSX_20210817_152102.jpg
    PSX_20210817_152102.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • PSX_20210817_152126.jpg
    PSX_20210817_152126.jpg
    875.7 KB · Views: 21
  • PSX_20210817_152207.jpg
    PSX_20210817_152207.jpg
    770.5 KB · Views: 21
Also, if there are more dominant males in the flock, they sometimes attack boys that are lower in the pecking order when they attempt to crow. So maybe they are just being cautious.
It could be that! I thought maybe separating them from the flock for a day and a half might trigger a crow out of them, but no luck. So long as its a possible dominance thing, and not a health issue or genetic issue ...im perfectly fine with two non crowing Roos lol

Back
Top Bottom