A rump of a rooster all the sudden. Help!

JessicaPoff

Chirping
Mar 5, 2021
Our rooster is being a jerk here lately towards me. I am basically the one who feeds them, give them fresh water and talk to them calmly. On a few exceptions my husband will do it when he is not out of town. But this past week our Roo is being just a butt towards me. If I go to pet one of my girls (I have one girl that follows me like a puppy) he will attack my fingers. Drew blood one day. I didn’t put up with it and went into their runner and he tried flogging me. O, we got into a pretty good brawl where he was coming at me and I laid into him. My husband came outside and got a hold of him and hung him upside down for a while to settle him. He runs from my husband. But me he normally casually and cautiously stays away watching me as I do my chores. Today while in the coop I cleaned out their water dish and got them fresh food when he comes at me again. I shocked him when I threw the food real hard in his face. I definitely don’t back down to him. So I don’t know why he is suddenly acting this way towards me. I don’t want him doing this to my kids. Come summer they will have to help me doing the chicken chore. I need him around for predator sack. What can I do or what is the best way to handle this situation?

How old is he? Hopefully if you put him in his place a few times he will learn his lesson. Or he can chill out at Camp Kenmore. Roosters are a dime a dozen, so a replacement may be the best option. No need to keep a jerk.
He is almost one.

Once they get the idea in their head to start this behavior it is very difficult to stop. Since you have kids I would second the opinion to replace him. I have a roo that is three and just the other day for the first time decided to kick my cousin’s little kid in the butt. He is now on the list come butcher time.

Once they get the idea in their head to start this behavior it is very difficult to stop. Since you have kids I would second the opinion to replace him. I have a roo that is three and just the other day for the first time decided to kick my cousin’s little kid in the butt. He is now on the list come butcher time.
But what causes this? There has to be a reason

He is almost one.
He might be starting to mature and is testing his limits. If he is that young, you have a chance to correct the behavior by showing you are stronger than him.

Personally, I would likely cull after the second attack, but I have little patience for that kind of foolery, especially if he could do that to a kid. I know a girl who ended up with several stitches after a rooster attacked her face.

Hormones. They think you are challenging them to their girls, or are going to harm their girls, their brains are not very big so reasoning does not happen with them.

Back
Top Bottom