A surprise Roo?

This is Blossom, a 7 week old light Brahma...I brought home what I thought were 6 pullets...but this one is not feathering as quickly as the others and there is a lot of red starting to show compared to the others. Could she Blossoming into a he??

(Also..this is my first go at raising chickens so any insight would be helpful! So much to learn! Thanks for your help)

View attachment 3210144
From the way it stands a bit more erect than females and the early pinkness to the comb and wattles, I'd guess you've got a cockerel. But rooster White Brahmas grow to be so big and beautiful!

It looks quite a bit like my roo did at that age. But I am certainly no expert.

My roo was also a surprise - I ordered sexed day old chicks from McMurray hatchery. The olive egger turned out to be a boy!

Other than his pure hatred for me, I'm grateful to have him around. He protects and keeps his girls fed as they free range.
If they were in a coop/run set up I wouldn't tolerate his harassment of me and he'd be finding a new home LOL. I also don't have any close neighbors so he can crow his heart out, and boy does he ever take advantage of that.

Update us in a couple more weeks!

From the way it stands a bit more erect than females and the early pinkness to the comb and wattles, I'd guess you've got a cockerel. But rooster White Brahmas grow to be so big and beautiful!
Because this is my first go with chickens...I'm super worried about getting an aggressive Roo, but I guess I will just have to wait and see!

It looks quite a bit like my roo did at that age. But I am certainly no expert.

My roo was also a surprise - I ordered sexed day old chicks from McMurray hatchery. The olive egger turned out to be a boy!

Other than his pure hatred for me, I'm grateful to have him around. He protects and keeps his girls fed as they free range.
If they were in a coop/run set up I wouldn't tolerate his harassment of me and he'd be finding a new home LOL. I also don't have any close neighbors so he can crow his heart out, and boy does he ever take advantage of that.

Update us in a couple more weeks!
I also have a very protective dog who is wonderful to me but would try to take that Roo out if he made a move toward me...the last thing I want is a bloody battle! I've been reading the horror stories of the meanies with their spurs and then the ones that say the Brahma Roos are giant teddy bears. I would keep the latter...but couldn't tolerate a mean one LOL

I also have a very protective dog who is wonderful to me but would try to take that Roo out if he made a move toward me...the last thing I want is a bloody battle! I've been reading the horror stories of the meanies with their spurs and then the ones that say the Brahma Roos are giant teddy bears. I would keep the latter...but couldn't tolerate a mean one LOL
And will totally update!

He stands male and is pretty pink already -- especially given that Brahmas tend to be slow developers.

Because this is my first go with chickens...I'm super worried about getting an aggressive Roo, but I guess I will just have to wait and see!

Since this is your first flock you should probably rehome him and spend a year with only girls to learn how to handle chickens.

I'll admit that I didn't with my first flock, but I had a lot of animal experience and even bird experience (cockatiels), and I was willing and able to eat him if he acted up.

@Mrs. K has words of wisdom on this topic. :)

He looks similar to my light brahma cockrell when he was a baby tho mine still hasn't grown in a full tail at 14 weeks 😳 very odd lol but he is a real good boy to his girls
Yeah, the consensus seems to be that Blossom is a boy...I will wait to see if he is a mean one before deciding what to do I guess! It might be nice to know the girls have a protector out there! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom