A tough topic

Joduck

Chirping
May 15, 2021
So I will prefice this with saying -
A, please don't hate on me
B, we don't agree with this practice in any way shape or form
C, we live in Spain where animal rights are very far behind northern Europe or North America, but things are progressing.

Now, we keep ducks, chickens and geese.
We bought some ducks this year from different hatched groups, as we didnt have a drake and we lost 2 girls to a fox 😔 we wanted to add some different diversity to our group, one of the groups we bought from we didn't realise that the end of the bills had been clipped!!!! And their toenails too!!! The bills it was just the tip, but the nails some had taken the end of the toes off too 😭 we noticed when we got home. Will either of these things grow back? I assume the claws won't, but I would be very happy to be wrong! Will not having them cause any discomfort (past not being able to use the claws for grip, which is causing them a few minor issues that we can help with and the starter feed not only sprays out of the side of the bill but falls out of the front too 🤦‍♀️). They have healed up nicely, but no sign of any regrowth...
The feed store near by also clips the end of the bills of all the chickens, will they grow back?
Thanks.

I have no idea how the owners would react to this (I don’t know the customs with animal right where you live, or whether the owner would get mad). I would kindly ask why they do that, but ask just as someone who is just looking at them.
-Sorry if this would be rude or make someone mad where you live.

I have no idea how the owners would react to this (I don’t know the customs with animal right where you live, or whether the owner would get mad). I would kindly ask why they do that, but ask just as someone who is just looking at them.
-Sorry if this would be rude or make someone mad where you live.
It is a normal thing done with chickens here, because its routine to keep them in close proximity to each other - this is just one batch that arrived with theirs trimmed, which we have never seen. It was a while back now so I doubt the owner of the feed store will even remember, they don't breed ducks, people come in with ducklings and they sell them on.

I have never purchased beak trimmed chicks, much less ducks! In over crowded conditions, some people(mostly commercial) do that to prevent cannibalism. It is not necessary for a well kept home flock! Trimming toes? Sounds like ignorant cruelty, especially to do either to ducks! A few instances of chickens excessive pecking for me since 1976 and easily solved and cured with pine tar liberally applied to the wounded animal, and a few days isolation to heal, before returning the injured bird generously slathered with the pine tar to the flock. Cruelty and ignorance, is everywhere! I would tell everybody about the ignorance and cruelty of the mutilations to the ducks. I am not a vegan and eat my chickens and /or ducks, but senseless cruelty is evil. You may need to start hatching your own birds or buying from a reliable, professional producer, that avoids such practices.

We have ducks and chickens.
The chickens have the end of their beaks trimmed off as a "normal" thing here. But we have never seen ducks with their beaks clipped, which is why we didn't notice.

I see. So it IS duck bills and toenails that have been cut.

That is sad since on ducks that cannot grow back. Ducks are pretty messy eaters to begin with lol.

I would offer the feed for both the ducks and chickens wet. It is easier for them to scoop up that way.
I am not sure if you are feeding grains or a formulated pellet or crumble. The pellets and crumble are easiest to make into a mash about the consistency of cooked oatmeal. Just add water and let it sit a few minutes to soak up the water.

Back
Top Bottom