Liquid diet for injured duck?

DillTheDuck

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2023
My 3 month Pekin duck (Dill) was injured by a predator last week and her bill was damaged. We have hopes that most of the bill will heal, there are some scratches and abrasions but the biggest issue is a tear at the bottom/side of her bill that at this point has blackened and will likely fall off. We took her to the vet and are giving her antibiotics and pain meds, so far her energy is okay. She is able to drink from her normal water tub and seems to be keeping herself hydrated, but it's been 4 days now since she's eaten anything. Yesterday she started showing interest in food again but though she will go towards her pellets, a slug, etc like she's going to eat, she veers away at the last minute. She seems hungry and frustrated, but the injury on the tip of her bill is just too painful for her to figure out how to eat. She is also ignoring mash, however much we water it down. We got a few syringes of watered down mash into her beak past the injury but force feeding her like that really stresses her out and I'm not sure if it's worth the effort for the small amount we can get into her. I'm wondering if we should add something like pedialyte, fruit juice, or bone broth to her water basin so that she at least gets some calories that way. Any advice appreciated.

Can you show a picture of her bill maybe you should try tube feeding but we need to see the injury first 4 days without eating is too long. I'd be worried she will start going down hill very soon.
:welcome

Here is a picture. You can see there is part of her bottom bill that has turned black that the vet said will fall off. She seems like shes losing energy. We syringed some bone broth into her mouth a few hours ago, but I'm afraid to cause damage tube feeding and it seems like I've seen ducks with worse injuries on here who are able to eat ok. I replaced her water with bone broth, but so far she is ignoring it. The attack was Wednesday night, and now it's Sunday afternoon, so yep, almost 4 days with no real food.
Screenshot_20230611-160713.png

I just did more research on force feeding and I'm worried I did more harm than good by trying to syringe liquid into her mouth. It's possible some got into her airway. So it seems like tube feeding might be our best option at this point.

I don’t like syringing anything it’s just too easy to cause them to aspirate. I’m surprised the vet didn’t mention tube feeding. They may have what you need to get started though. I had to order but you don’t have that excess time.

I don’t like syringing anything it’s just too easy to cause them to aspirate. I’m surprised the vet didn’t mention tube feeding. They may have what you need to get started though. I had to order but you don’t have that excess time.
Would silicone aquarium air tubing work?
That’s at every pet store and even most Walmarts. It’s very soft and pliable and the end can probably be stretched to fit over a large syringe. Just a thought in case they can’t get back to the vet immediately for supplies.

Thanks everyone -- we have a friend who may have a bird tube feeder we can use. She's a small duck, just about 3 1/2 lbs-- how long of a tube and what size diameter do you think? I couldn't find anything about that in a quick search of the other forum

I tube fed a runner duck , you want the tubing to be about 2 feet long just so make it easy for you to maneuver it and make a mark on the tube at the 6 inch mark that’s how far you slide it down their throat dip the tube, in a little olive oil first I used Kaytee baby bird food it was scary at first but once I got used to it, it was easy
Maybe you don’t need a whole 2 feet but 18 inches is good. The diameter you want small enough to fit in the side of the throat but not too small or the food clogs up in there and gets stuck

Back
Top Bottom