Aieko

Hatching
Nov 12, 2018
Hello everyone.
I found a baby chicken outside in my backyard, there was no mother around at all, I even waited 40 minutes. No sign of a mother. I brought him (or her) in and put the chick in a box, I researched what to do and fed it some wet mushy cat food. (I have two cats but I'm keeping the chick away.) My question is, what the heck do I do?? I've raised a few chickens in the past but all of them sadly died. ANY advice, hugs or recommendations are greatly appreciated. I want to raise it, just saying.

Edit: Forgot to say, the chick looks at least one week old, very small though. Cute too.

Last edited:
How old do you think that the chick is? Is it feathered yet? A picture of the chick might help people to know where they should start with advising you.

Here are some images of the chick.

Attachments

• b (1).jpg
    b (1).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 30
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 31
From the pictures, the chick doesn't look unhappy or ruffled

I don't know what your general location is as far as what your current temperatures are. Since it isn't feathered yet, it will still need to be kept warm. I would say probably maybe 85 F. to 90 F. The chick will need some starter feed to get the right nutrition that it will need.

:goodpost:Keep the chick warm and feed it chick crumbs

Hello everyone.
I found a baby chicken outside in my backyard, there was no mother around at all, I even waited 40 minutes. No sign of a mother. I brought him (or her) in and put the chick in a box, I researched what to do and fed it some wet mushy cat food. (I have two cats but I'm keeping the chick away.) My question is, what the heck do I do?? I've raised a few chickens in the past but all of them sadly died. ANY advice, hugs or recommendations are greatly appreciated. I want to raise it, just saying.

Edit: Forgot to say, the chick looks at least one week old, very small though. Cute too.
Hello Aieko.
Welcome to BYC.

This chick didn’t come far unless it’s been dumped by a human.
Do you have neighbors that keep chickens?
I would ask around and see if you can find where it came from and try to reunite it with it’s mum

Chicks wouldn’t last long in the cold so it has to be from somewhere nearby. Or maybe a large bird dropped it. Regardless the chick needs to be under a hen or under heat lamp from a farm store ( certain light bulbs can kill them). A lizard lamp would also work. Or search the search bar for the mama heat pad. I first put my chicks in a large tote with paper towels in my bathroom since it’s not drafty and easy to heat.

You will need to buy chick starter for its food and a water dish. Put rocks in the water dish so it won’t drown ( happen to one of my first chicks) and then decide if you want to have chickens . If you do the want to keep then find another chick for a companion.

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

I suppose my first question would be, do you intend on keeping it?

I can heat one specific room with my thermostat. I do have a lizard light that I previously used. I bought some chick feed on my way home, so I think I'm good to go. None of my neighbors have chickens, as for temperature, I live in Hawaii, so It's always hot, we do get a few rainy days but aside from that, we're good. I have a small dish, the type of dish you would put soy sauce in and I'm currently using that.

I do plan on keeping this chick, so I'm looking online for some friends.

When I was in Hawaii this past summer I saw hens and babies all over. Most likely the chick was separated from Mom somehow. I had to tell my daughter not to go up to then hens because mom would go one direction and the babies would go another.. we had to herd them back together.

Make sure you have enough room in the box /tote that you use that the chick can move away from heat lamp if they get too warm.

Try to find another chick close to the same size. There is limited time you can add them together without one picking on the other.

Back
Top Bottom