Abatement notice

I think they would be happier to have access to grass and light during the day so I don’t think a shed would be the best thing, I think you should focus on proving the geese aren’t a sound nuisance like the neighbors make them out to be.
Geese make noise, but so does every other animal but unlike a nuisance dog that can bark at all hours geese honk for particular reasons, it isn’t constant and repetitive so they can’t be treated the same as a nuisance dog.

So that would be another angle you could argue on, people can have dogs and people tolerate occasional barking in the day and night because dogs bark, you can’t make them not bark, but you can site someone for having a nuisance dog that barks constantly through the day and night.
A goose is no different than an average dog with the occasional honk/bark, they honk when they think a stranger is approaching and they honk to contact their family, but unlike a dog they don’t have the urge or will to do it all day and night like a dog can if unchecked unless they were separated and completely alone.

It’s exactly the same with hens, they chatter and cluck quietly amongst them selves like geese and now and then will announce if they’ve seen someone they know, contact their flock, or let them know they’ve laid an egg, but every sound they make isn’t full volume BAWKS at all hours.

So maybe try to explain their behavior like if they were dogs instead of geese, they couldn’t be classified as nuisance dogs if they were dogs, in fact if you could change their honk to a bark they’d be relatively unnoticeable by any normal person’s standards.

Yep, i assumed goose bias myself.
"A goose you say? Oh my you mean those angry, agressive loud things that ive never actually witnessed myself? Yes of course they are a nuisance, you only get those at ponds!"

"Goose bias" :lau

I find myself constantly explaining my geese's behavior - especially that no, they are not barking aggressively at you; they're merely greeting you excitedly. And from their perspective, the polite thing to do is to go and greet them back; preferably loudly. The whole thing takes 15-30 seconds. If you ignore them, they'll think you haven't heard them and they'll keep yelling as long as they can see you: "HEY! HEY! HEEEEYYYY!!! WE'RE OVER HERE!!!! YO!!! DUDE!!!! OVER HEEERRREEEEE!

"Goose bias" :lau

I find myself constantly explaining my geese's behavior - especially that no, they are not barking aggressively at you; they're merely greeting you excitedly. And from their perspective, the polite thing to do is to go and greet them back;

Hahah I'm glad i'm not the only one that calls it "Barking" They do honk of course, yes, but the uninitiated don't understand that. :lau

I change it every day to mix it up. I wouldn't say it is 100% effective. If my goose sees someone new there is still going to be a lot of honking but there isn't much sporadic honking now. I'm still worried someone might complain though. :(

Aww i hope not chloe...what is your setup like? Are you rural or urban and in a buolt up area like me?

So i spent my weekend clearing the garage out for my babies. it's not perfect but I think I made it reasonably cosy for them; I will put up pictures soon and hopefully this will solve my "noise issue"

Back
Top Bottom