Abbey needs help..** IMPROVMENT**

I've been following Abbey's story all this time and I've never posted. I'm glad the puppies finally came and I'm glad she's eating now. What a good girl! Give her a hug for us.
hugs.gif

well we are not out of the woods yet with Abbey but we are getting there - she still needs to build her weight and energy but at least things look normal - for now we are hopeful that she will get better and the pups are doing great.

Julie

When my dog had puppies her first time she had nine and when she was done she was so skinny I could hardly believe it. It took her a while to gain some of it back but she just put so much into having and raising her puppies that she got quite thin. I would reccomend keeping her on puppy feed for at least the first few weeks since it gives them a boast. Chloe was on puppy feed until I started to wean the pups. I mixed her food with canned and dry. At first she did not really eat either but she came into it eventually. I also had a hard time trying to get her out to go to the bathroom. She just did not want to leave them.
I also reccomend if she is not eating try cooking some hamburger and mixing it with rice. When dogs are sick that seems to perk them up to eat and it is easy on their stomach but I would also think that it would help her to eat at least a little.

I gave Abbey her breakfast of dry/canned puppy and she eat the WHOLE bowl - she even was eating standing up this time !! still having to drag her outside - she just does not want to leave them babies I know she is just trying to be a good momma - but dang she is stubborn LOL

We changed her blankets and the dripping seems to have slowed down so maybe things are getting better for her.

Julie

Last edited:
Went in to check on Abbey and she was standing in the crate - so I asked her if she had to go potty - and I opened the backdoor she went out on her this time - without having to be forced !! she also got a drink of water on her own from the outside water bowl - she looked much more relaxed in the yard this time - she did panic a little when she was ready to come back in and I had closed the door ( I was watching from the window to see when she was done )
She came in and instead of going right to her baby's she went into the kitchen looking for something to eat so I made her a bowl of dry/canned puppy and put the left overs from my breakfast ( eggs & hashbrowns ) she ate the whole bowl - that makes two bowls of food so far she has had !! I am so happy - the bleeding looks to have totally stopped her blankets are still clean.
She is now resting with her boys with a full bellie of food. I dont know if that shot the vet gave her last night was what turned things around for her or not but she is alot more active than this time yesterday.

I will have pics up this weekend of her and the boys

Julie

She is doing so much better - already been out a few times on her own - drinking on her own- wagging her tail and spending alittle time outside with the other dogs in the sun ( not staying to long ) if the backdoor closes she will freak out alittle - but she is doing so much better-now we can all just sit back and enjoy the pups and not have to worry so much over momma !!
we have to go out tonight to do some shopping and this will be her first time left alone since the babies were born I think she will be alright - the crate she is sleeping in is huge so she has room to move around, and we will not be gone long.

I am so thankful it is over and the babies are here and healthy and Abbey is healthy - believe me it will be a LONG time before we are ready to have pups around here !!!

Julie

Back
Top Bottom